Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

20 days tour of scotland

Hello
Coming from Belgium, I plan to visit Scotland late may and june. I just would like some advices on my trip espacially between Portree and Durness: distances and accomodations

J1 Bruxelles – Edinbourg

J2 Edinbourg

J3 Edinbourg

J4 Edinbourg – Anstruther - Ile de may

J5 Anstruther – Balmaha Loch Lomond

J6 Balmaha Loch Lomond and the Trossachs

J7 Balamaha – Glencoe

J8 Glencoe

J9 Glencoe – Portree

J10 PORTREE TO THE QUIRAING

J11 PORTREE TO NEIST POINT

J12 Portree – Gairloch

J13 Gairloch

J14 Gairloch – Lochinver

J15 Lochinver – Handa – Durness

J16 Durness

J17 Durness

J18 Durness – Inverness

J19 Inverness – Loch Ness – Edinbourg

J20 Edinbourg – Bruxelles

Thank you for your help

Louis

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭

You have a great trip planned!

The trip from Gairloch to Durness is an amazing route. Fantastic scenery, beaches etc.

You have planned a lot of driving!

J12 is 2.5 hours
    J14 is 2 hours 15 mins
    J18 is 2 hours 40 mins

J19 (beware) if you drive down the side of Loch Ness to Fort Augustus and then on to Edinburgh it will take you 4 hours 15 mins. I am not sure if this is worth it.

Regarding accommodation between Gairloch & Durness check out the NC500 website.

Hope that helps.
    Let me know if I can help you with any further questions.

Best regards
    Graeme

Best regards
    fishypro
  • HaloHalo Member
    Many thanks for your information. Yes in some places I have more driving but I cannot stay longer than 20 days and I favored the most interesting places for my taste.
    The drive from Durness to Inverness is, in my opinion, the less interesting part of my tour as well the drive from Inverness to Edinburg.
    I have three days to drive from Portree to Lochinver so would you arrange the tour differently

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭

It is a great trip that you have planned but you will certainly have regrets afterwards.

I really suggest that make two trips at least.

You are really going to be stressed out when you see what Scotland has to offer.

You are going to miss The Cairngorm National Park, Perthshire etc.

You will spend too much time in the car.

If you do wish to go ahead with this plan then I would definitely consider changing something to reduce the amount of driving on the last day.

Best regards from Pitlochry
    Graeme

Best regards
    fishypro
  • HaloHalo Member
    Hello Graeme
    Thank you for your information. It took me 6 periods of 1 month to visit the West side of USA and it may also be the case for Scotland.
    I will take your advice and stay two days in Inverness to visit Loch Ness before heading back down to Edingurgh

• HaloHalo Member
    By the way, I'm gonna stay around Loch Ness the day coming from Dunress et the following day , what is the best place to stay and what are your tips for making the most of these two days