Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Hidden gems on your doorstep

VisitScotlandAngelaVisitScotlandAngela Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited March 29 in General Discussion

Wherever you go in Scotland, there’s always something special to enjoy.  Whether you’re a culture vulture loving the vibrant life of our towns and cities, or you might be someone looking for their next exciting adventure.  Even if you’re just looking to get away from it all and enjoy our beautiful landscapes for the day, Scotland really does have something for everyone and it’s important that we do everything we can to keep it that way.  The good news is that even the small things we do can make a huge impact, like taking our rubbish home with us or exploring those hidden gems rather that the most popular spots that can sometimes be busy.

Throughout lockdown I have discovered so many hidden gems in my local area that I never truly appreciated before.  Taking the time to stay in one area, exploring what’s actually on my doorstep has opened my eyes to so many amazing things.  Whether it be the beautiful view of the Clyde Estuary at sunset from the ruins of Craigendoran Pier, or the amazing homemade lunches from the Gingerbread Man in Helensburgh town centre which you can take away and munch whilst wandering around the outdoor museum (which I found out to be the first of its kind in Scotland!)  Duchess Wood is also my new favourite walk with the steep wooded glen bursting with snowdrops…and I can’t wait to have a stroll though in May when the bluebells are out!  I even found a secret park when I was geocaching, which I must say is a great free family friendly activity that takes you completely off the beaten track sometimes.

Exploring just one location has certainly been an adventure so I'd love to hear what hidden gems you've discovered on your doorstep! 😊

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    During the first lockdown we really got to know our local area. We are lucky enough to have small hills on our doorstep and are part of the Estate we live on, so we spent a lot of time exploring them. 

We found a cup marked stone, hillfort ruins, a disused railway walk and followed the burn which is the water supply to our home. I wrote about some of our adventures:
    https://www.fullstopnextchapter.com/walks-from-home-during-lockdown/

I think it's important not to take for granted our local area (although many of us can't wait to explore further afield).

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube