Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Castles reachable by public transport

Hello everyone,

I have been visiting Scotland for over three years now, and since I love historic sites I have tried to visit as many castles/palaces as I possibly can. Sadly, it can be a bit difficult to reach some of them by public transport, so I would love to share what castles everyone has managed to visit by public transport and share my own experiences as well. I have seen a previous thread here with the same idea, but that one is now a bit outdated so I figured an updated thread wouldn't hurt. I have tried to order these sites by naming the city from which I visited this castle, but do take in mind that there are probably multiple ways to reach a certain place. Hopefully this will help some of you out! 

Reachable from Glasgow:
-Linlithgow Palace (train to Linlithgow)
-Dumbarton Castle (train to Dumbarton)
-Newark Castle (train to Port Glasgow)
-Bothwell Castle (bus from the city of Glasgow)
-Cadzow Castle (train to Chatherault)

Reachable from Edinburgh:
-Edinburgh Castle (train to Edinburgh)

Reachable from Aberdeen:
-New Slains Castle (bus from Old Aberdeen)

Reachable from Stonehaven:
-Dunnottar Castle (train to Stonehaven and walk for about 40 minutes, or take a bus from Old Aberdeen that takes you straight to the castle)

Reachable from Stirling:
-Stirling Castle (train to Stirling)
-Doune Castle (train to Stirling and a bus from the city)

Reachable from Dundee:
-Broughty Ferry Castle (a bus from the city of Dundee)

Comments

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

Glamis Castle is also reachable by public transport but can be a bit complicated. Monday to Saturday you get a bus from Dundee Bus Station to Forfar, there is about a 30 minute wait for a bus out to Glamis. But because it isn't far from Forfar, some people like to just get a Taxi there. On a Sunday there is a direct bus at 11am which takes you from Dundee bus station straight to the castle.

Scone Palace can be assessed by a couple of different buses from Perth City Centre. Perth Information Centre have timetables of all the buses that go to and from the Palace.

Floors Castle in Kelso is within walking distance of the town centre but getting to the town itself can be done via 2 ways from Edinburgh. You can get the bus direct from Edinburgh to Kelso or the Borders Railway from Edinburgh to Galashiels, then a bus from Galashiels to Kelso.

• IngeKleefmanIngeKleefman Member ✭✭

Glamis Castle is also reachable by public transport but can be a bit complicated. Monday to Saturday you get a bus from Dundee Bus Station to Forfar, there is about a 30 minute wait for a bus out to Glamis. But because it isn't far from Forfar, some people like to just get a Taxi there. On a Sunday there is a direct bus at 11am which takes you from Dundee bus station straight to the castle.

Scone Palace can be assessed by a couple of different buses from Perth City Centre. Perth Information Centre have timetables of all the buses that go to and from the Palace.

Floors Castle in Kelso is within walking distance of the town centre but getting to the town itself can be done via 2 ways from Edinburgh. You can get the bus direct from Edinburgh to Kelso or the Borders Railway from Edinburgh to Galashiels, then a bus from Galashiels to Kelso.

I actually happened to visit Scone today, we got a short bus from Perth but we ended up walking back to the city centre and it turned out to be quite doable. I’ve always wanted to visit Glamis too, but it seemed a bit complicated. This makes it a lot more clear, thank you!
  • VisitScotlandMarinaVisitScotlandMarina Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    You can visit Culzean Castle by taking a bus (60) from Ayr which stops right at the main entrance into the Park. You've then got about a mile walk to the Castle itself but the grounds are lovely to walk through.
  • spootiespootie Member
    The castles at Dirleton and Tantallon in Berwickshire can be reached by public transport. Dirleton is on the main bus route between Edinburgh and North Berwick (the 124/X24 run by East Coast Buses), and the castle - with its gardens - is located within the village. 
    Eve Coaches run route 120 between North Berwick and Dunbar; this service stops at the Tantallon Castle car park on the main road, and while there's no physical bus stop sign in place, it's a timetable stop that you can hail from the road. From the car park, it's under half a mile to the castle itself. My Dad and I visited these two castles in a day a couple of years ago, combining them with a trip to the excellent Scottish Seabird Centre at North Berwick.

Both Linlithgow Palace and Dumbarton Castle are easily accessible by rail from both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Linlithgow is on the main route between Edinburgh and Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk, and also has services to Stirling and Cumbernauld.
    Direct trains run from Edinburgh to Dumbarton via Bathgate and Glasgow Queen Street, continuing to Helensburgh and Milngavie. Dumbarton East, rather than Dumbarton Central, is the best station for the castle.

Scotland has many castles, but how many have their own dedicated railway station? On the scenic Far North Line, which connects Inverness, Dingwall, Thurso and Wick, there's a one-platform station near Golspie serving Dunrobin Castle, the ornate, fairytale stately home of the Clan Sutherland. Services only call at the station during the summer months - the only time the castle and its extensive gardens are open to visitors - and it's a 'request' stop, meaning that you have to inform the guard if you wish to get off the train there, and you must hail the train (like flagging down a bus) if you wish to board at Dunrobin Castle station.
  • Andrzej1990Andrzej1990 Member
    Finally, I would like to mention that trains between Inverness and Perth stop in Blair Atholl. And Blair Castle (home of the Europe's only private army, and seat of dukes of Atholl and clan Murray) is only a short walk from the station.