Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Inverness to Portree - driver/tour guide

A friend and I want a driver/tour guide to take us from our Inverness hotel to our Portree hotel on Skye, but we want to know what we're seeing - someone to talk to us, educate us. The northern route is probably most scenic, but we would like to see Eilean Donan Castle even though it's a bit out of the way. And maybe Applecross too. This would be like a long taxi ride with a tour guide but doesn't have to be private. Does anyone do this? August 6 is when we want to go.  Thanks

Answers

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    August 6th is proper peak season so you might struggle to find anyone with space. However local to me there's a chap who runs Discover More Scotland  and he'll do bespoke tours. If you're happy to spend the whole day doing the tour then Applecross and Eilean Donan Castle definitely isn't out of the question. It would be about 4hrs 30 minutes of driving so that's very do-able if you factor in stops for lunch and sight-seeing. Eilean Donan isn't a huge diversion as you head to Portree from Applecross either. 
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    August 6th is proper peak season so you might struggle to find anyone with space. However local to me there's a chap who runs Discover More Scotland  and he'll do bespoke tours. If you're happy to spend the whole day doing the tour then Applecross and Eilean Donan Castle definitely isn't out of the question. It would be about 4hrs 30 minutes of driving so that's very do-able if you factor in stops for lunch and sight-seeing. Eilean Donan isn't a huge diversion as you head to Portree from Applecross either. 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Might also be worth checking with Ross Shand of Your Scotland Tour, he is an excellent tour guide.

I love the route suggested by @LochNessPhotography but I would take driving times suggested by GoogleMaps with a grain of salt. It always takes longer in the Highlands, even without the stops. Some parts of the route could also be single lane IIRC.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Horizons thanks for the mention :smile:

@AnnAnn I'd be delighted to help you plan and sort this bit out - what's your next move from Portree? 

I'd think a taxi journey of that distance would likely be quite expensive! 

Feel free to contact me via this website or my own yourscotlandtour.co.uk :smiley:
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk