Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Aberdeen area or St. Andrews?

I am planning a trip with my family around Scotland.  I was going to make one of the stops St. Andrews (we won't be golfing), but now I am thinking the Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire area might be more appealing for us.  It seems to have more castles and things to do.  Which do you think would be a better stop for us?  We will only be there for 1 day and 1 night.

Best Answers

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @GypsyHollowTH , Definately St Andrews! Even taking golf out of the equation there is so much to see and do. I would be amazed if you get a 1 night stay in St Andrews for a family (more than 1 room) unless you pay enough for it.
    Castles, ruins, university, shopping, beaches, museums, botanic gardens, butterfly house, restaurants, bars etc there is something for everyone in St Andrews. A beautiful scottish town.
    Best regards
    fishypro

Answers

• GypsyHollowTHGypsyHollowTH Member ✭✭
    Thank you @fishypro.  I will be booking early!  I have a few spots on airbnb and a couple of hotels as well that can accommodate us all :)
    Hi @GypsyHollowTH , Just be aware of the properties that you are looking at on AirBnB. Make sure that they are official accommodation providors.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    I didn't check that last time I came through Scotland.  We stayed at quite a few. Thankfully all were beautiful and everything went well. How would I know if they are official accommodations?
    @GypsyHollowTH , simply check that they have a private website. If so then book through their website. It is difficult to understand why people use 3rd party booking engines when it is cheaper to go direct.
    Best regards
    fishypro
    Ahhh! I understand now!  Thanks so much :)
  • YourScotlandTourYourScotlandTour Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @GypsyHollowTH I'd plum for Aberdeen/shire - there's so much more to see and do in the area compared to St. Andrews and the drive there up the coast gives you access to Mills, Abbeys, castles and beaches. 
    Bespoke tours.
    Whisky, Castles and Food a speciality.
    yourscotlandtour.co.uk