Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

4 more days, but where?

July 13-20, we have a week planned in Pitlochry.  We are planning to stay another 4 days somewhere before we fly out of EDI. There are five of us with no children.  Ages are from 50 to 70, so no base jumping or such. 

The thought process so far is to spend some time near the coast.  We have found places in Arbroath, Pittenweem, and Eyemouth that look interesting.  Which would you choose and why?  Should we look elsewhere?

Thank you!

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @wetwolf

My suggestion would be the East Neuk of Fife. There are so many picturesque villages, harbours, beaches, castles and coastal walks. Plenty of places for lunch, distilleries and golf courses.

I really like visiting Elie and St Monans, although all of the East Neuk villages are quite close together. St Andrews is only a short drive too. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    I would choose either the Fife Coast around St Andrews or North Berwick on the coast line of East Lothian.
    Another option could be Broughty Ferry.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • wetwolfwetwolf Member ✭✭
    Many thanks for the replies.  After looking through the various towns and available places, we are staying in Anstruther.  Looks like a neat little fishing village.
    Good choice @wetwolf. Plenty of things in the area to explore. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @wetwolf

While you are in Anstruther, consider a boat trip to Isle of May where you will get to discover the ruins of an old monastery, lighthouse and some amazing wildlife!

https://www.isleofmayferry.com/

http://www.isleofmayboattrips.co.uk/

Julie,

It is on the list!  The boat leaves from the dock right by the house.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Good choice. A few options (in post) would be Stonehaven, North Berwick and Dunbar. Hope you have a great trip in Perthshire and Fife.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

We just got back from four days in Anstruther.  

Cute little town.  Activities included St. Andrews Castle and Cathedral, Broughty Castle, Caves by Wemyss, Kingsbarns distillery, and Elite Falconry. 

The weather was not cooperating for a trip to Isle of May.  

The Falconry was very cool.  The one hour experience at 35pounds was better than I expected.  We interacted with three owls and a hawk, all of which followed us through the woods.  

We tried for Stirling Castle but it was packed with no parking anywhere except at the bottom. One of the older travelers was not going to make it up that hill if we parked low.  We have to do this next time.  We did see the Kelpies at Falkirk so it was not a total bust.
    Yay. I am really pleased you had a good time. 

Shame about the boat trip to the Isle of May, it just means you will have to come back! haha 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • davidcamerondavidcameron Member ✭✭
    Great suggestion. Should try them next time I visit there.