Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Weather Related

Hi.  My friends and I will be visiting Scotland this week from Canada, arriving July 11th until July 22nd.  It is a bus tour so most of our time is scheduled, although we will have some free time and will also be arriving 2 days prior to the tour starting.  We will begin in Edinburgh and travel across Scotland, into the Highlands, to Orkney Island and ending in Glasgow. 

I have been watching the weather and reading blogs and seems that the best advice is to bring layers and a rain jacket.  I've noticed that the past number of days have ranged between 13 and 19 degrees Celsius.  We're used to the cooler weather here, and I'd actually prefer it to be cooler than hotter, but I'm wondering if white is an appropriate color to wear this time of year in Scotland - tops, jackets, pants, etc.  Seems we tend to wear white in hotter climates when there's lots of sun, but just thought I'd ask the question.  What about sandals?  For the most part, will be wearing trainers/sneakers when walking about, but is it warm enough to be wearing comfortable sandals too?  Don't want to pack things that I likely won't be wearing. 

Thanks,   Karen

Answers

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Yve - I was just noticing on the weekend when i was outdoors and wearing a white top that a lot of bugs seemed to be attracted to me - and when i changed to a darker colour I didn't seem to be as much of a target. I have no science to back this up, so take this anecdotally but perhaps it'll help you too!

If you're used to the Canadian climate I would imagine you'll be fine wearing sandals here. Perhaps save them for days when you know you'll be active and moving around a lot.

Hope this helps and hope you have a fantastic trip! :) 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • YveYve Member
    Thank you Amanda.  I will keep this in mind.  Also have my bug repellant!  :)