Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Photography experience

Hi,

we are planning to visit Scotalnd for 5 days in August and renting a car. We would like to see scenic/landscape for photography mostly, but we would like suggestions.

can you help us please ? 

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @roncam! Where will your Scotland holiday start - do you arrive into Edinburgh? We can give you better suggestions once we know where you'll begin and end.

Also just tagging in our resident photography experts @LochNessPhotography and @Lochgmarcp who I'm sure will have suggestions of our best spots for photography at that time of year! 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @roncam, do you have an itinerary already in place? Accommodation booked etc? That would help guide you in the right direction. If you're up in the Highlands then you're spoiled for choice from big landscape shots over Assynt and the mountains of Suilven, Cul Mor and Stac Pollaidh to the beaches at Achnahaird and Sandwood Bay. 

There's a huge amount to choose from and the West Coast is a prime location for castles, rocky coasts and big seas. But if you like city and street photography Edinburgh's old town is a wonderful place to shoot (especially in the evening or first thing in the morning) and a sunset view over the city from Calton Hill should be on everyone's list... although with the longer days in August you may struggle to stay awake long enough to get a sunset :smile:

• roncamroncam Member ✭✭
    i have a lot of castles and landscape locations which I got by reading the website :) for sure we are landing in Aberdeen and drive to inverness. you think route 500 is doable in 5 days ? or we can do the best from it only ?
    Hi @roncam, the NC500 is certainly doable in 5 days and shouldn't feel too rushed if you plan it out. Book accommodation asap though! You might find most places are already booked up and I suspect this will dictate your day to day itinerary.
  • roncamroncam Member ✭✭
    so you think that we should find guesthouses along the road or one central guesthouse ?

• VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

If you are arriving in Aberdeen then Dunnottar Castle is an excellent place to visit and is a photographers dream, with lots of different angles to capture. It is just outside of Stonehaven, which is just south of Aberdeen.

There is literally something round every corner in Scotland to photograph

• roncamroncam Member ✭✭
    @LochNessPhotography
    so you think that we should find guesthouses along the road or one central guesthouse ?
    @roncam probably better to find some along the way. Otherwise you're potentially looking at quite long days. However if accommodation is hard to come by, then finding one place to stay and using it as a base to explore isn't the worst idea. Inverness (for example) is a good base and reasonably handy for the Black Isle, Cairngorms, Loch Ness, Fort William and Assynt without having to endure monster drives each day. That said the A82 to Fort William can be slooooow at peak season.  :)
  • roncamroncam Member ✭✭
    @LochNessPhotography can you suggest if our below 5-day itinerary is any good? we arrive on the 14th at Aberdeen airport and drive for Inverness. We sleep there and early morning on the 15th we leave to the Isle of Skye and sleep there and leave Skye on the 18th early in the morning back to Aberdeen

@roncam that looks ok. I'd be inclined to focus most of my time around Skye and maybe Applecross and Torridon on the mainland. If you're planning day trips from Skye to Fort William/Oban/Glen Coe you might find that to be a bit much, it's a lot of driving to do in one day. 
  • roncamroncam Member ✭✭
    no we will pass  by them when getting from Inverness to Skye. we are not going to do any day trips
  • roncamroncam Member ✭✭
    do you think that it will be better if we drop kilchurn castle and visit Glencoe instead ?
    @roncam If it was me I would go with Glen Coe. The scenery is more dramatic. There's a good cafe in Glen Coe village too and that would always influence my decision :)
  • gautamseogautamseo Member
    Please share the itineary for the same.