Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Oor Wullie Bucket Trail 2019

VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay ✩Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

The Oor Wullie bucket Trail begins on the 17th June and is even bigger than the last one 3 years ago.

In 2016 Dundee held a bucket trail with over 50 sculptures all painted with different designs to celebrate 80 years of Oor Wullie. This was a huge success with the sculptures raising over £800,000 at auction for the local childrens charity.

They have decided to bring it back this year but on a far bigger scale with 150 sculptures and this time you will be able to find them not only in Dundee, but Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness and a few dotted in other towns and cities across the country. At the end of the summer these will once again be auctioned off and the money will be split between 3 childrens charities.

I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak at some of them this week and the designs are amazing on them, with some of the Wullies being turned into some very famous faces.

Maps of the trail will be available so please look out for them in our Information Centres and enjoy the trail :)

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I loved the last one and more recently the penguins. 

I guess they will have an accompanying app to help people "collect" all of the Oor Wullie sculptures. 

A brilliant way to get people to explore their own cities and learn a bit about the area. I'm looking forward to seeing the designs. 

One of my favourite penguins last year was the one at the Verdant Works in Dundee. Made from just one piece of wood with the exception of a darker piece near his heart. This darker slice of wood was in the shape of Antarctica and was actually made from a piece of the deck taken from the RSS Discovery. The ship is now dry docked in Dundee (next to the V&A) after sailing to Antarctica. Very cool and lots of fun. 

You can find details here of this year's trail.

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay ✩ Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff

@FullStopNextChapter this penguin is now on permanent display at RRS Discovery.

We now have the maps in Dundee I Centre ready to be handed out on Monday morning.

There is an app that will hopefully go live on Monday morning and there are pop up shops in all the cities to get some great Oor Wullie Merchandise.

Some of the statues have already started to appear in Dundee this morning.

• ArtravelistArtravelist ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    Look who I found near The Shore in Edinburgh? It's Wullie...

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I popped over to Dundee last week and made the most of the sunshine. 
    Walking nearly 16km around the city, discovering new places to eat and chatting to other people doing it too. 

These are a few of my favourites. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube