Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Planning a trip of 8 days into Scotland and wanted to know if what we've planned is realistic or not

JoanMJoanM ✭✭Member ✭✭

Hi all!

First of all, thank you for reading and answering.

We still have not booked any hotel.

My wife is celiac so gluten free meals are mandatory.

We will rent a car.

We like:

• Castles.
  • Beautiful roads.
  • Short walks.
  • Make gazillions of pictures!

Could you please take a look at our itinerary and give us your opinion? Is it realistic? Are we making a mistake going somewhere and should replace it for something else?

July 26

We will leave Barcelona and will arrive at Edinburgh airport at around 20:30, we will rent a car and go to the hotel to leave the luggage.

We would go eating something (late I know) and visit a little bit the downtown of Edinburgh by night.

July 27

We will keep visiting the city, Castle, royal mile, Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Rosslyn Chapel and real Mary Kings Close.

We will sleep at the same hotel in Edinburgh

July 28

We will leave early in the morning to the Stirling Castle, which we will visit, and go to Glencoe, see that wonder and sleep nearby.

July 29

We will wake up early (weren’t those holidays?) and drive to Eilean Donan castle, we will visit it and then drive to the Isle of Skye to the castle of Armadale, visit it and drive to Dunvegan castle, we will try to sleep nearby.

July 30

We will visit the Dunvegan castle, and drive through the coast road (duntulum, Culnacnoc…)  we plan to get nice views of the shore and nature in the Isle of Skye.  <- Is this a good idea?

We will drive to the castle of Urquhart; we will sleep nearby.

July 31

We will visit the Urquhart castle and visit the Loch Ness. Sleep there and relax a bit…

August 1

We will drive to Dunrobin castle, visit it and drive to the castle of Mey, we will visit it and sleep there.

August 2

Wake up early, drive to the Brodie castle (passing in front of the Cawdor castle to make a couple of pictures :P), visit the Brodie castle and drive to the Balvenie castle, visit it and sleep nearby.

August 3

Drive to Huntly castle, visit it and go to Fyvie castle visit it and then go to the Tolquhon castle, visit it and sleep nearby.

August 4

Our last day… :’(

We will leave early again… drive to Fraser castle, fast visit (outside only), drive to Dunnotar castle, complete visit and then drive to the Rosslyn Chapel near Edinburgh… make the visit and drive to the airport.

We will leave at 21:00 from the airport so we must be there at 19:00.

Best Answer

Answers

• JoanMJoanM ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    Yes, we plan to go there this year... I'm afraid we've not got a confirmation that we would be able to make holidays till very late... so we will have to cross fingers to find a room at those places (or nearby)...

It's not possible to extend our holidays for 14 days... a pity because Scotland seems WONDERFUL and we are already sure we will want more.

:)
  • fishyprofishypro ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    My advice is book your accommodation NOW! As soon as possible before you set off for Scotland. Do not leave it till the last minute. VisitScotland has a great page to search for your accommodation.

Enjoy your whirlwind trip of Scotland and make sure that you have enough memory on your camera! :wink:
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda &#10026; Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello!

Just wanted to comment on your plans for this day:

July 27

We will keep visiting the city, Castle, royal mile, Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Rosslyn Chapel and real Mary Kings Close.

The central city of Edinburgh is all walkable and you'll be able to do all you've mentioned in one day - except for Rosslyn Chapel which isn't actually based in Edinburgh and you'd need to drive to. But the rest is doable! I'd suggest booking your slot for Mary Kings Close online ahead of time as it's one of our most popular attractions and gets booked up quickly.

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
    Thank you both for your answers!

Great help!

I've found a guest house at Glencoe (half a miracle) and a hotel in Skye! (a complete miracle).

Now I'll keep finding good places to stay for the other places were we will sleep.

Thanks again!

PS: I'll post a new question... (You'll see it's super original).

Oh!

And about your comment about the 27th Amanda, yes, we know it... In fact, we changed the date and will visit Rosslyn Chapel the last day... that way we will be on the car already and could be our last stop before the airport.

Again, thank you very much!
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @JoanM,

Your itinerary for the last few days looks pretty hectic. Have you considered slowing it down a little and concentrating for a few days in one area? Going from Drumnadrochit (Urquhart Castle) up to Dunrobin and the Castle of Mey and the next day heading all the way back down the East Coast towards Brodie Castle and Cawdor is a lot of driving to squeeze in over a couple of days. I worry that you'd spend most of your time driving and not enjoying yourselves as much as you could! 

I'd suggest maybe taking a few days to explore Skye and maybe again basing yourself in Inverness to do shorter trips to Culloden, Cawdor and Brodie.