Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

West Coast Milky Way Photography

I will be on the isle of Mull and along the west coast up to Ullapool during the first two weeks of June. I've been taking astrophotography photos of the Milky Way during the past year, and am interested in some suggestions of specific locations to take photos. I'm looking for an interesting foreground for these photos (castle, rock formations, cottage, Kirk, lighthouse, etc.). Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda ✪ Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I can't help you myself but @eilidh__cameron or @Lochgmarcp might have some suggestions that could work for you!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • LochgmarcpLochgmarcp ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi, sounds like a great trip you have planned! There are loads of places that work well for astro photography and i'll try name a few for you!

Mull itself has some beautiful locations for astro photography, Tobermory lighthouse, Duart Castle or a drive along the west coast road has some great spots for nice shoreline foreground interest.

Once on the mainland, you may pass Castle Stalker if you are sailing back to Oban from Mull, always a great spot day or night, Glencoe Lochan is a favourite of mine for night time shots (nice starry reflections) and if in that area you might want to try the classic Lagangarbh Hut in Glencoe, with a super wide angle lens can produce some lovely astro shots!

Further north towards Ullapool, I have taken some astro shots at Loch Maree which worked quite nicely and the Wee red roofed cottage in Torridon works really well! Once in Ullapool go a wee bit further north to Assynt and you'll have a lot of options, including Ardvreck Castle :-:smile: 
    Plenty of standing stones dotted around on route for you too, Historic Scotland website should help you to pin these locations down a bit better than me rambling on haha!

Hope that helps a little and you get some luck with clear skies on your trip!

Argyll in February...

Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    I'm not too hot on Astro photography but it's maybe worth bearing in mind that you'll be here at peak summer and it doesn't really get properly dark. The sun sets roughly around 10pm and rises again at 4am in June. 

I'm sure you'll get stunning photos regardless! 
  • USCRxUSCRx Member
    Yeah, I was wondering about the darkness factor in June. So, it doesn't get really dark after midnight? Even where there is very little light pollution?
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    @USCRx it's more like a deep twilight if that makes sense?! Take a tent and a dram (or two :smile:  ) and camp out somewhere with the camera and I'll sure you'll get some good photos.