Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Only 2 days in Scotland

We are traveling to Ireland with a large group and breaking away for two days to go to Scotland.  We want to do a train tour for a day.  What would be the best train station to leave from and the best train tour to take?

Answers

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @lllark16! What time of year are you coming here? 

Here's some information on our train tours: https://www.visitscotland.com/info/tours/search-results?vehicles[]=train but please note some routes (such as the Jacobite Steam Train) don't operate all year round so will depend when you're here.

Another option is to base yourself in Edinburgh or Glasgow and take day trips on the train to explore the surrounding areas - as both have lots of options on the trainlines. What are you looking to see? As we have trains that go through the Highlands and trains that will take you to different city destinations that you might want to consider also (such as Dundee to see the new V&A) etc.
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • lllark16lllark16 Member
    Hello ,
    Thank you for responding. 
    We  will be there the first week of June.  We would like to see some castles, the beach and some of the countryside.  Could you recommend a route?
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Sure thing. Would you prefer to start from Glasgow or Edinburgh - or somewhere else?
    Instagram
    I think we would like to start from Edinburgh. 
    I've compiled a search for you on train tours departing Edinburgh in June (see here) but most of them are 1 week long so might not suit what you're looking for - although some are bespoke so worth contacting them directly.

We have more options for coach tours for a couple of days - I'd recommend considering this instead. I've compiled a search for you here

There is a 1 day tour that covers Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands, which sounds like it could be up your alley? https://www.visitscotland.com/info/tours/loch-ness-glencoe-the-highlands-63b1a583
    Instagram
    Thank you! I think the bus tour will be the way to go.  I really appreciate all of your help!
    No problem - let us know if there's anything else we can help with!
    Instagram