Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Visiting Places in Scotland and Attending Festivals

Hello!! I am planning for my vacation to Scotland in August for the first time and I have a list of places I would like to go to but, I do not know the best and most cost-effective way to see everything I would like to. Could you please kindly offer more information based on what I have provided below? I would really appreciate it!! The places I would like to go are: Linlithgow Palace, Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle, The Palace at Hollyroodhouse, Dunbar Castle, LochLevin Castle and the site of the Battle of Langside. I would also like to see the Military Tattoo and attend a festival or two. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do all of these things and save as much as possible? I will be visiting England following Scotland and need to budget accordingly.

Answers

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @NicPe, glad to hear you're coming to visit us!  Edinburgh would be a good base camp to see all of these and make day trips to Stirling, Loch Leven Castle and the site of the Battle of Langside!

Are you planning on hiring a car or will you be using public transport?
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • NicPeNicPe Member ✭✭
    Hi VisitScotlandLiam, I will be using public transport and will be staying in Edinburgh. Any advice on using public transport? I am trying to be as cost effective as possible during my stay. Also, I'd like to know are the day trips to Stirling, Loch Leven Castle and the site of the Battle of Langside all separate from each other? And, what about day trips to: Linlithgow Palace, Edinburgh Castle, The Palace at Hollyroodhouse and Dunbar Castle? Are those separate as well? I would really like to see all the places I listed and see the Military Tattoo and attend a festival or two. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @NicPe - sounds like a great trip!

The good news for you is that Edinburgh Castle is right in the city centre, so you'll be able to get there really easily if you're using Edinburgh as your base! Holyrood is also city centre and is at the other end of the Royal Mile. It takes about 20-25 minutes to walk between them - with lots of things to see and places to eat on the road between.

For your trip to Stirling, you can get on the train at Waverley Station (also city centre Edinburgh) and it will take you around 1 hour and cost about £9ish.

Edinburgh to Linlithgow is even cheaper/quicker to get to! Around 20 mins on the train and about £5-6 for your ticket.

Edinburgh to Dunbar is around 25 mins on the train and about £10 for your ticket.

I'd suggest looking at Trainline (https://www.thetrainline.com) to get a gauge of times/prices and then make your bookings closer to the time (end of June should be fine).

Hope this helps!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @NicPe, I would imagine you could do Stirling and Loch Leven in one day but I would advise to leave Battle of Langside to a seperate day.

Linlithgow Palace, Edinburgh Castle, Palace of Holyroodhouse and Dunbar Castle are all either in Edinburgh or very close proximity to Edinburgh so you'd be to see several in one day.  Edinburgh Castle and The Palace of Holyroodhouse are within the city centre so I'd recommend to see them both in the one day.  You could easily do Linlithgow palace and Dunbar Castle in one day as well.

Public transport within Edinburgh is excellent.  We have a great bus and tram system that is very easy to navigate, see more information here.  As for outside Edinburgh, Scotland's national rail service ScotRail will be your best bet to get you from place to place.  It's probably best looking up the stations you will be travelling to/from in advance and booking your tickets via their website.

For the Tattoo, these tickets sell out very quickly so I would check the availability and book as soon as you can.

Check out the events and festivals page on our website to find more festivals going on around your time of stay.
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • NicPeNicPe Member ✭✭
    Thank you Amanda and Liam!!!!!!!!! =) Do you know if there are guided tours of all the places I listed above? (Linlithgow Palace, Stirling Castle, Edinburgh Castle, The Palace at Hollyroodhouse, Dunbar Castle, LochLevin Castle and the site of the Battle of Langside). Would I be able to truly take in each of these breathtaking places without feeling the need to rush to the next location? And, where is the site of the Battle of Langside? Is it a museum? Does public transportation go there? If so, what stop is it?
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @NicPe most attractions will have audio guides you can use to assist your experience and learn more about the history of the location. It would be worth checking their individual websites as well for information on booking tours. 

The Battle of Langside has a monument in Glasgow, I've added the transport information for how to get to it from Glasgow Central Station on a map for you here: https://goo.gl/maps/rehXkFHkSp22 

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram