Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Buying a Car

Is it possible to buy a car if we plan to be in Scotland for 6 or more months? It would be more cost effective than hiring? Does anyone know what the criteria would be? Many thanks!


  • fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Moraigann This all depends on what kind of licence you have. Where do you live? What are your plans whilst you are here. What kind of car? What are you going to do with the car afterwards? Where has the money come from? These are the kind of questions that you will be asked at the time of enquiry to purchase a car.
    When purchasing a second hand car check the following:
    • Registration document (V5C) ...
    • MOT certificate. ...
    • Service & full car history. ...
    • Write-off cars checks. ...
    • Avoid buying a cloned car.
    You will need to TAX & Insure the car before you drive it and this can take up to 5 working days for it to go through.

    To tax your vehicle online go to - you'll need one of the following:
    1. 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter (V11)
    2. 11 digit reference number on your log book (V5C)
    3. Or, if you've just bought the vehicle , the 12 digit reference number on your new keeper supplement (V5C/2)
    If a police officer asks you to, you must be able to show:
    • your driving licence. (Check out the DVLA Website for details of validation)
    • a valid insurance certificate.
    • a valid MOT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)

    Best regards
Sign In or Register to comment.