Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Needing help for a trip to the Hebrides

Hi!
I'm from France and planning a road trip to Scotland this autumn, and I especially want to visit the Outer Hebrides during 1 week and a half.
I just can't make my mind on which kind of transports to use there: I heard about great cycling ways and itineraries, but renting a bike for 1 week will be hard to handle if I bring a suitcase with me (I don't think I'm ready for a one-month trip with a backpack as my only luggage haha).
Otherwise, I could rent a bike for one day or two, if I stay in the same area. On the other days, I could take the bus but I'm not sure if the buses timetables are very extended and allow people to freely lost themselves in the wild nature... I would'nt want to miss the last bus and get stuck!

Anyway, I'm giving myself a headache trying to find the best way to visit Hebrides once I'm there. If you have any recommendations or tips, I'd be glad to hear them! This is my first time planning a whole road trip, and I'm travelling solo so that's even more stressful for me :)

Thanks!

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda ✪ Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @Ileen - our resident Hebridean expert @ellisoconnor should be able to help you with this decision!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Ileen

Can you drive? If you want the most flexibility then I'd suggest hiring a car. It's not the cheapest option once you factor in ferry fares and fuel but it would certainly give you a lot more freedom in terms of where to go and exploring the area. 

That said, public transport is reasonably good and you should be able to get to most places without too much bother, you are restricted by their timetables. 

CalMac do a range of island hopscotch tickets that are pretty good value. Personally I would start in Oban and sail out to Barra and make my way up the Western Isles from there. The ticket I've linked to gives you the fares and timetables for that option. 

If you want to stick with public transport, the Council have a great resource on their website with details of all the bus timetables including details on how to link up going from Barra to Stornoway on Lewis. 

Bike hire is available on most of the Islands:

Barra: https://www.barrabikehire.co.uk/
    Uist: http://www.rothan.scot/
    Isle of Lewis: https://www.bikehebrides.com/hire-prices 

Or you could look into doing the full thing by bike by hiring one and letting HebShuttle do the heavy lifting in terms of the organisational side of things. 

Hope that helps!