Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

The Ancient Brochs of Skye

jackcairneyjackcairney VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
edited February 21 in Understanding Scotland
Did you know there are around 50 ancient brochs in Skye? I recently ventured to the Isle of Skye to visit some of the lesser known locations and came across the amazing Dun Beag Broch.

Brochs date back some 2000-2500 years, so being able to see an example this intact is an opportunity not to be missed. It can be found on the Dunvegan to Sligachan road and is worth looking out for if you are in the area, people often pass it when travelling to Dunvegan Castle.  It has a small car park and there is a short walk up the hill to reach the Beag itself, it can also be viewed from the road for visitors unable to make the journey up the hill.   I'd advise to wear good walking shoes as it can be a bit muddy at times.

There are fantastic views from the Broch itself, below are a few photos I took while there. 

For map directions click here 

Has anyone else visited any Brochs or plan to?

Comments