Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

where to stay near Skye / west coast?

Hi everyone and greetings from Toronto  :) 

My friend and I are planning a trip to Scotland (arriving June 9th).
We are flying to Edinburgh and will stay there for 5 days so we can explore the city, as well as take day excursions to the surrounding areas.

After that, we head to the west coast for another 5 days. 
We really want to visit Skye and any other spots that are good as day trips.

My questions are:
1) How can we get from Edinburgh to near Skye? Is there a train or bus?
2) Where should we stay for those 5 days on the west coast so it's possible to see Skye and other destinations near to it?

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello @rebeccajane1974

Although there is not a direct route by public transport, you have a a few options to get to Skye from Edinburgh. You can go via Glasgow or via Inverness. You can do it all by CityLink coach or take the train to either Glasgow, Inverness (or continue by train to Kyle of Lochalsh) and connect with the CityLink coach that goes to Portree, Skye. Find out more and click through to plan your journey and book tickets at the CityLink website

There are several ferries which run to and from Skye which are perfect for day trips. Find out more at https://www.calmac.co.uk/destinations/skye

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @rebeccajane1974 I would strongly suggest a hire car as you can't reach many places easily by public transport. A car is a definate advantage especially on Skye. It is much easier to reach all of the hot spots as well as the hidden gems, and Scotland is full of these. Don't forget if you are on Skye or at the west coast in June then take your MIDGE repelent! (Avon - Skin so soft or Smidge)
    Best regards
    fishypro