Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Weather in late May

We are planning a trip for late May. We will be hiking and exploring. What is the average temperature and should we plan for rain?

Answers

• DianaDiana Member ✭✭
    Hi Ranchroberts! I will be visiting Scotland late April/early May. This will be my second visit to this beautiful country. Traveled last year in August. I will tell you, always be prepared for rain. I also like hiking and exploring so I invested in waterproof boots, jacket, and gloves. Yes, gloves. Even in August, around Loch Ness I was so glad to have hat, scarf, and gloves. Dress in layers, warm in town, cool in the country area. As for weather, I have weather reports from my town connected also to Edinburgh. I have been monitoring weather as I will be leaving soon. Don't know if this helps but enjoy Scotland! 
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I totally agree @Diana. It's all about layers. 

@Ranchroberts, the weather here does vary and four seasons in one day is definitely a thing here. I would pack for each eventuality, especially if you plan on walking some of the munro peaks as the weather will most certainly be different at the top than it will at sea level. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello there @Ranchroberts

If you are visiting a particular location, you will find the Met Office website great for getting an idea of the weather forecast. If you just want an overview of averages in Scotland, have a look at https://www.visitscotland.com/about/practical-information/weather/

You may well experience four seasons in one day and, yes, definitely think layers that can be pulled on and off accordingly. Plan for sunshine, wind and rain showers - perhaps all three at the same time!  :D