Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Making the most of a 6 day roadtrip

KJHKJH Member
Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland in June primarily focusing north of Inverness. We would like to travel to Ullapool over to Harris and Lewis and then further north to John o Groats and Wick but it would be great to get some advice on places to stay and other areas to visit. We will be camping plus we will have our little dog in toe.
Many thanks!

Best Answer

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like a fabulous trip @KJH

I'm going to start by stating the obvious and say even if you don't like gin or whisky - a trip to the Harris Distillery really is a must. The tour itself is really interesting and quite possibly one of the best ones that I have been on. Telling a story of their whisky, gin, Harris, their distillers and other staff - it really is special. 

Back on the mainland. If you are travelling from Ullapool to Jo'G - I would suggest a scenic route of driving through Sutherland and into Caithness (part of the North Coast 500). 
    Dramatic cliffs, empty beaches and the mountain scenery are some of the best remote wilderness you will find here in Scotland. Smoo Caves are worth stopping for too.

I would recommend a drive out to Dunnet Head (Most northerly point of UK mainland) to spot puffins and other seabirds at that time of year. 

Also Duncansby stacks are very impressive and well worth going to see - not far from John O'Groats. Brilliant coastal walks along here too.

Mary Ann's cottage is also well worth stopping by to see. It is a crofting cottage that was lived in by three generations of the same family. Mary Ann lived there until she was 93 and the cottage has been preserved to show a way of live. Really interesting. 

There is a campsite in Thurso which faces out over the sea with nice views and the harbour and Orkney. 
    One of my favourite places to eat in Thurso is The Pavillion. A really nice seafood/steak restaurant and I would recommend booking as it's quite small but very popular. 

One of my favourite castles - Castle of Mey. Really good tours around the castle, once owned by the Queen Mother. The gardens are beautiful and the cafe onsite provides some amazing food with locally sourced produce.  

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube

Answers