Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Burns Night 2019!

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
It's nearly Burns Night, a traditional, annual celebration of the life and work of Robert (Rabbie) Burns.  On the 25th of January each year, Burns Night is celebrated with a Burns Supper.

How good does that look!  Haggis, neeps and tatties is the traditional Burns Night supper, although can be adapted to suit vegetarians and vegans as @VisitScotlandAmanda will gladly share with you.  The meal is usually accompanied with a good dram, or two, or three with fine Scottish whisky; how could you decline?

The haggis is traditionally piped into the room, followed by an addressing and then finally getting to eat it!  I love Burns Night because I hardly eat haggis throughout the year, so it's a nice treat for me!

The night is usually capped off with the recital of Burns poetry and songs, having a good drink and enjoying yourself!

Whats your Burns tradition?  Will you be trying something new this year?
Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

Comments

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Haha thanks for the tag Liam.

I can indeed confirm veggie haggis is a happy time if you're that way inclined. I usually just buy it from the deli section at the supermarket, but recently I made it from scratch and turns out it was really easy and yum!

After making the haggis I wrapped it in filo pastry and baked for 15ish mins. Followed up with a whisky gravy drizzled over top.

I got my idea from a Canadian influencer who came to Scotland last year and learned how to make this dish by one of the chefs from popular Glasgow restaurant Mono. Here's the vid if you're interested:

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭

The Kings Wark in Leith's lovely Shore area had a fab 4 course set menu last year that included a nip of whisky for only £20!  :o  It was DELICIOUS and they are doing the same deal again this year.  The building  itself is steeped in history dating back to the 1400’s, providing a relaxing and cosy atmosphere and an open fire which is just what you need on a cold January evening  <3 

• LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandAmanda

Veggie haggis in filo pastry.... I do not approve! I bet you put sugar in your porridge too.

We usually have proper, fresh caught Haggis from the hills above Loch Ness along with mashed tatties and neeps. There's nothing more comforting than a massive bowl of Haggis in winter in front of the fire with a dram. 

In our house Burn's night clashes with St Dwynwen's day, the Welsh 'Valentines Day'. My wife is Welsh so we're duty-bound to celebrate both!

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @LochNessPhotography

Vegetarian/Vegan haggis is a quick growing tradition in Scotland.  I'm not a vegan myself but have had it before at Henderson's and it's delicious.  @VisitScotlandAmanda actually makes her own too.  I'm sure if you tasted it, you'd change your mind.
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandLiam nope nope nope nope nope nope. 

Mind you you're one of those salt n sauce loving monsters so your opinion doesn't count :p 

In seriousness, it is good to see people looking at new and different takes on Scottish food.