Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Mary Queen of Scots

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam ✪Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited February 28 in Arts and Culture
To accompany the freshly released blockbuster Mary Queen of Scots, starring Margot Robbie and Saorsie Ronan, VisitScotland has created a Mary Queen of Scots map, which shows you all of the iconic locations from real life and from the film.

Walk in Mary's — or Saorsie's — footsteps to visit some of these locations in the map here.

Stirling Castle

You could visit the legendary site where Mary was crowned as a child.  At 9 months old, she was crowned following the death of her father James V.  She then stayed at Stirling Castle many times, holding a christening ceremony there for her son James VI.

Blackness Castle

You could visit this movie location, in Blackness by Linlithgow — not far outside of Edinburgh.  The castle served as the film set to portray the Palace of Holyroodhouse, which was Mary's main residence.

Have you ever been to a historic or film site to do with Mary Queen of Scots?  I have!  I've been to her house in Jedburgh that's now turned into a museum, it is absolutely fascinating.
Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

Comments

• johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    Lovely :) 

My favourite Mary location is Falkland Palace in #Fife. Mary’s passion for sport, and her innate appreciation of the palace as a residence fit for a queen on the move, blended seamlessly to make Falkland a favourite royal retreat. However brief, Mary’s annual summer visits to the palace in the first four years of her reign have left a lasting impression. 

More poignantly, visitors are offered the chance to explore a royal residence that provided the young queen Mary with a fleeting opportunity to escape the troubles of those early years, and a captivating willow sculpture of this tragic Scottish queen commemorates her importance as one of the many colourful threads in Falkland’s – and Fife’s – royal tapestry.  <3

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    We loved visiting Lochleven castle last year. Obviously not good memories for Mary, but we enjoyed it. 

Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • johnmurrayjnrjohnmurrayjnr ✭✭✭ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    @FullStopNextChapter I also went over last year, was great trip. Really hard to imagine the time she spent there. Can't wait to see the film :) 
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter ✭✭✭ VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Totally agree @johnmurrayjnr, especially on such a nice day! 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube