Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Scotland July 2019 Combining driving tourist routes

Hello!  We are interested in the Perthshire, Aberdeen and Dundee routes thanks to the driving itineraries from Visit Scotland.  We are staying in Edinburgh.  Can we do all three in one day?  Is this reasonable time wise with touring time in each community or along each route?  What is the best way/route to tackle this from our home base in Edinburgh?  This is our second visit to Scotland and we didn't have time previously to see much of the country side north east of the city.  We have done the highlands, and are doing Oban and Isle of Sky out of Glasgow beforehand.  Any advice you can give me would be most appreciated.   

Debbie

Best Answers

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer
    Hey @Arcticrose, the most practical route for this is along the A90 from Edinburgh, stopping in Perth, then Dundee before more northerly to Aberdeen.  It is possible in a day, but I would recommend giving yourself two days for it.  This means you can properly explore Perth and Dundee in a day, before heading up to spend your second day in Aberdeen.

I hope this is helpful, and have a wonderful trip! 
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like a brilliant road trip but I would certainly allow as much time as possible.

Perthshire has castles, woodland walks, waterfalls, cute riverside towns and wildlife.  Catch Dundee for the V&A, Jute Museum, the Discovery, Science Centre, McManus Galleries and quirky places to eat.  Aberdeenshire has plenty of castles, nature, walks and beaches etc.  If you would like a more specific suggestions please do let me know 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandLindsayVisitScotlandLindsay Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Accepted Answer

This sounds like a good journey, but I would definitely give yourself as much time as possible. There is so much to see in each place alone, as well as all the things between each city.

I would also maybe suggest on the way back to Edinburgh, going down through Fife and following the Fife coastal route as there is lots of lovely little places to visit in that are as well.

Answers

• ArcticroseArcticrose Member
    Thank you so much!!   I suspected that we would need a couple of days.  We will have to return to our accommodation in Edinburgh each night so now just need to work out a plan to attack this?!. We will definately do the Fife route as well.  So much to see!  We will be there from June 28 to July 6 this year.  Appreciate your advice!!!