Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

STICKY: Your top tours and itineraries!

2»

Comments

• HawthorneHawthorne Member
    Hi everyone. My family and I are coming over from March 16-29. It'll be our first time in Scotland. We're staying with relatives in Caldercruix. There are 5 of us - My wife and I, and three kids ages 17, 12 and 10.

We want to know the best rail pass to get so we can travel to Glasgow & Edinburgh multiple times (other places too if possible). It looks like there is one that allows for 8 days travel out of a 15 day time frame, but there are a LOT of options and we're not sure if that is the best plan. Any help would be much appreciated!
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam ✪ Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @hawthorne and welcome to the Community!  Our expert for public transport, @horizons, may be able to help you here!  He knows how to get the most fr your money!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • HorizonsHorizons ✭✭✭✭ Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Hawthorne as you correctly mentioned, there are a number of travel passes available. I have actually used the 8 out of 15 day travelpass termed Spirit of Scotland and that pass is not good value for money at all.

As you have 13 days in the UK, I highly recommend buying a Family and Friends railcard for £30 for the two adults and two kids (10 and 12 years) and a 16-25 year railcard for another £30 for your 17 year old. I promise you that you will make back the £60 quite easily in your 2 weeks with the 33% discount on all tickets, especially if you will be travelling by train a number of times.

To see Edinburgh, Glasgow, Fife, Falkirk (Kelpies), Stirling + Alloa, Borders and North Berwick with the Central Scotland Rover for roughly £33 after the railcard (which has already saved you £34/£60 with the discount) for 3 days. Just make sure you have the 3 days of sightseeing lined up together.

For any longer journeys, I would recommend buy an Off-Peak day return ticket for day trips. If you plan to take the beautiful West Highland Line from Glasgow then I would try to book them in "Advance" (non refundable, non changeable but way cheaper). The railcard is applicable on this journey as well. An Off-Peak return is flexible but potentially more expensive, hence I tend to buy Advance tickets for long distance journeys and treat the journey as a flight.

Hope this helps (and makes sense).
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, DunoonSpeyside)

• BellysvisitscotlandBellysvisitscotland Member
    Hello! My husband, son (29) and myself are planning a trip landing 5th September 2019. I am heading back to see my heritage having been born there but leaving at a very young age. We plan on a week or so in Scotland before driving down the Coast to London. We love Food Wine, people, and basically have thought on driving and seeing as much as we can in the week with no set stops in mind.. I have seen an itinerary Called the North Coast 500 which looked like it could be ok. could anyone  recommend that tour if they have done it or maybe suggest something else.. I would love to see a Highland games and a visit to Glasgow along the way.. All tips and hints muchly appreciated
  • davidcamerondavidcameron ✭✭ Member ✭✭
    So we can simply mention a good itinerary blog post here is it ?