Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Scenic driving from Edinburgh to Stonehaven

Hello Everyone! I am planning a solo drive up the east coast from Edinburgh to Stonehaven...wanting to avoid the motorway as much as possible. I have directions beginning  out of Edinburgh om M90/A90, taking A92 at Crossgates to Dundee, continue on to Montross and jump on the M90 into Stonehaven. I want to develop my driving skills at a slower pace and enjoy the sites. I also have a checkin time at my B&B of 4:30 pm so plenty of time to relax and drive. (arrival at Edinburgh airport is 8:00 am) Is this a good route or are better options available? Thanks everyone for assistance.

Comments

• JessMacJessMac Member ✭✭
    Make sure to stop at Lunan Bay in Angus Diana! It's an absolute hidden gem  <3 There is a Aberdeenshire Coastal Trail which is a lovely scenic route and takes in lots of sights  :)

Pic of St Cyrus beach in Aberdeenshire. 

• VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @Diana!

I've checked with a friend who knows the area well and they have come back with the following:

I would recommend either visiting the Fife fishing villages esp Pittenweem and Crail and St Andrews. So leave the M90 at Kirkcaldy and take the coastal route.

I'd also recommend staying on the coast road all the way from Dundee to Stonehaven, calling in at Dunnotar on the way. If time, also look at Johnshaven.

I hope this is useful! Let us know if you have further queries :) 

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • DianaDiana Member ✭✭
    Wow...the beach looks amazing! In late April can I wade in the surf or is it to cold? Thank you JessMac and VisitScotlandAmanda. I will definitely checkout these places. My dream vacation will be to spend a month in Scotland. Up to two weeks now. :)