Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

1 week in Scotland

Hi we are visiting Scotland from Australia for the last week in August 2019. We will be hiring a car and the primary purpose of the trip is to explore family ancestry in the area around Aberlour. I have worked out a rough itinerary and would appreciate any advice or comments. Flying into Glasgow but picking up a car and travelling to Stirling for first night. The following are my further overnight stops; Pitlochry, Elgin, Aberlour area X 2 nights, Braemar, Edinburgh.
Also when should I start to book accommodation for that time of the year. Looking forward to any advice. Thanks

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Rosanna!  Sounds like a great trip you've got planned.  It sounds like a very reasonable itinerary you've got planned, I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time!  In terms of accommodation, you should probably look to book soon, especially Edinburgh as the Fringe |Festival will be on and accommodation sells out very quickly.  Also, be prepared to pay for overnight parking in Edinburgh's City Centre, as there's few hotels that can offer free parking.

Hope this helps!  Here's a link to our accommodation page for you to have a look at.
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • RosannaRosanna Member
    Thanks for the advice Liam. I’m so glad I discovered the visitscotland site for all the info it offers.
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    No problem, @Rosanna, I'm glad you've been finding the site helpful!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hi @Rosanna. Your trip sounds fabulous. 

Here are a couple of suggestions of places to visit during tour: 

Pitlochry Dam Visitor Centre - a short walk from the centre of Pitlochry. Very impressive building, free to visit and you can learn about the history of the dam. There are also a few walks from here too - the staff at the VisitScotland iCentre (on the High Street) can help you with suggestions and maps. 

Lossiemouth beach is well worth visiting when you stay in/near Elgin. Beautiful long white sandy beaches, pretty harbour too. 
    Gordon Castle is also a stunning place to visit near Fochabers

Near Aberlour I highly recommend a trip to the Speyside Cooperage to see the whisky barrels being made and repaired.   

Whilst you stay in Braemar - Mar Lodge Estate has some excellent walks (various lengths) through woodland and alongside the river. You might also catch the heather still in bloom. You might also catch a glimpse of a red squirrel.  
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • RosannaRosanna Member
    Great suggestions. Many thanks.