Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Touring Scotland by motorcycle

Visiting Scotland this summer, touring the highlands by motorcycle.  Prefer staying in B&B, small towns vice cities.  Seeing the country, Thurso, John O Groats, Inverness. 8 days total time to tour.  want to maximize time seeing the country.  only want to ride about 2-3 hours a day spending the rest seeing the sights, eating and maybe enjoy a single malt or two:-)  Any suggestions welcome. There are four of us, husband and wife.

Comments

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a brilliant trip @ABryant

One of my favourite places to visit near Thurso is the Castle of Mey. Beautiful location and the castle tours are well worth stopping for. There is also a fantastic cafe there too. 

Dunnet Head - is also worth a visit. The peninsular is the most northerly point of mainland UK. 
    Duncansby Head is the most north-easterly point of mainland UK. Also home to some rather impressive sea stacks.  
    Cromarty - not far from Inverness - you may see dolphins. There are also wildlife boat trips from Inverness, which, even if you don't get to see any dolphins it's a nice way to see the coastline. 

If you like waterfalls, Rogie Falls near Contin are also well worth visiting. Just a short walk off the road. 

There are plenty of whisky distilleries not far from Inverness in Speyside to choose from. Distilleries provide take-away drams for those who are driving to savour later. I would also recommend going to the Cooperage
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • If you’re passing along the north coast, I am told that a walk at Duncansby Head can be nice to see the stacks and the lighthouse. You might also want to go to Dunnet Head, the most northerly point in the UK. John O’ Groats ferries do day trips/cruises to Stroma if you are interested in seeing the fauna (bird colonies, seals).

If you pass by Wick, I’d recommend Wick Heritage Museum which is a touching look at all kinds of local paraphernalia focused around the rise and fall of the nineteenth century herring industry in Wick. Mackays Hotel also does lovely food, I’d recommend lunch or dinner there.