Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

West coast in January?

I’m visiting Scotland at the end of Jan with my family. I’ve been before in Winter and loved it. In the past we’ve visited Ben Nevis (of course), Loch Ness and Urquhart, Loch Lomond, Glenfinnan and Eileen Donan. We did a day trip to Skye but found the distance a bit much for a day as we base ourselves in Fort William. 

Im looking for ideas of where to visit around the area with Kyle of Lochalsh being as far as we’d go in one day. We’re staying for 4 days and love stunning scenery and hiking. I’m into photography as well so am on the lookout for stunning places for that.

Any ideas besides from those places listed above?

Comments

• Where about are you staying while you're here? I'm assuming Fort William again?

There's a good viewpoint looking over Kyle about a mile out of town that's handy for sunset shots over the Cuillin and the bridge.  I'd heartily recommend visiting Plockton too. It might be pushing your distance a little but it's not that much to add to a drive.

Glen Coe is an obvious choice and the road down to Oban has plenty of places to stop off including Duror and Castle Stalker. 

Another place worth looking at is Glenelg, (about 1 hour 40 mins from Fort William) the drive over Mam Ratagan is spectacular and the village itself has some amazingly well preserved Brochs. It's a good place to look out for Golden Eagles and White Tailed Sea Eagles too. 

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree with @LochNessPhotography Glenelg is a very special place.  Plus is you love history the Glenelg Brochs are a must. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.