Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Photography Adventure

Larry_MarshallLarry_Marshall Member
edited November 2018 in Touring and Road Trips
I am in the planning phase for a trip to Scotland. I live in San Diego.  I have never been and have only seen photos.....beautiful!  I am a professional photographer and shoot mostly landscapes and seascapes.  I am also interested in shooting castles.  I'm looking at January/February timeframe.  Anyone have any ideas for places to shoot and the most efficient routes to get there?  Any other photographers here that may be willing to share an itinerary? I'm looking at a 1 or 2 week trip.

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Larry_Marshall, delighted to hear you're coming to visit us!  I'm not much of a photographer myself but I'm sure that @AYankInScotland and @LochNessPhotography will be able to help you out.  They're our photo experts!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • Hi @Larry_Marshall, for that time of year I'd be looking for big wintry mountain landscapes and following the snow (if we get any!). The weather will probably play a part in your travel times and the days will still be reasonably short. February would probably be the better bet because you've got more light and a good chance of Alpine conditions for good photos. If you're not keen on venturing too far off the beaten track you're still going to be spoiled for choice so don't worry about having to walk for miles to get a good view!

Personally I'd look at:
    • Glen Affric - an easyish drive if the roads are clear of snow and you'll get some great shots around Loch a'Mheadoin and Loch Affric and over Affric lodge. 
    • The Great Glen - Urquhart Castle, Craigmonie Viewpoint at Drumnadrochit,  the Commando Memorial Viewpoint over towards the Nevis Range and Ben Nevis can be spectacular. 

• The Cairngorms - plenty of fun to be had looking out over Loch Morlich and the Northern Corries, Loch an Eilean (castle in the middle of the island) in Rothiemurchus.
    • For big stormy seas then anywhere along the west coast will give you good opportunities. If you've got the money and time I'd highly recommend heading over to Lewis and Harris for a look at Seilebost beach and up to Eoropie Beach in Ness for the big waves as they roll in off the Atlantic. 

• Forgot to say, if you are in the area (Inverness/Drumnadrochit/Loch Ness) you’d be very welcome to get in touch and meet up. I’d be more than happy to give you a tour of some of the local spots - any excuse to get outside and play with the camera 😀
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Some smashing advice there @LochNessPhotography ; :)
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.