Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Planning roadtrip July 2019

We're a  family of 3 (Me - my wife and daughter of 7) planning to visit Scotland in July 2019.
We have got some experince in roadtripping by car (Iceland & Croatia) but for Scotland, it's to much :)
We're planning our trip and are not sure how many time it takes to do what we want and if it's reasonable.
I will list up our 'route' and any feedback is welcome...

08/07 Newcastle -> Edinburgh (by A68 it should be the nicest route?)
09/07 Edinburg visiting city
10/07 Edinburgh -> Pitlochery
            visiting Stirling - St Andrews and Glamis Castle
11/07 Pitlochery -> Inverness
            visiting Cairngorm
12/07 Inverness
            visiting chanonry point - and enviorement
13/07 Inverness -> Isle of Skye (not sure witch city/village)
            visiting Loch Ness
14/07 Isle of Skye
15/07 Isle of Skye
            currently planning 2 days to discover the Isle of Skye, not sure it's to much or to little
16/07 Isle of Skye -> Fort William
            visiting Clenfinnan viaduct & Ben Nevis
17/07 Fort William -> Glasgow
            visiting Loch Lomond
18/07 Glasgow visiting city and many so Loch Lomond again
19/07 Glasgow -> Newcastle
            visiting Alnwick castle

Off course will we be visting exploring more during the roadtrip but this in our plan in headlights  for the moment.
As said any suggestions, comments, help is more the welcome.

Kind Regards,

Matthias, Greet & Maren

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @MatthiasT Looks like a great trip you have planned there and looks excellent to me!  Our man for itineraries is @Horizons so maybe he could cast an eye over it and see if there should be any changes or suggestions!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • LochNessPhotographyLochNessPhotography Member ✭✭✭
    That looks all pretty reasonable. A couple of days exploring Skye is always a good idea, the roads and honeypot areas such as The Fairy Pools, Storr and Fairy Glen are usually very busy so give yourself plenty of time to get there. My tip would be to get to these places as early as possible to avoid the crowds. 

If you're heading to Chanonry Point, they've introduced a new park and ride system in Fortrose. Keep an eye out for that to save yourself the hassle of finding a parking space at the point. Best viewing times for the dolphins are about an hour either side of full tide. There's no guarantees though! Another alternative is North Kessock which is the village at the other side of the Kessock Bridge as you leave Inverness. You've got a reasonable chance of seeing dolphins there and there have been otter sightings too. 

Isle of Skye to Fort William via Glenfinnan is an easy-ish trip, I'd strongly recommend booking the ferry between Armadale and Mallaig as early as possible though. Glenfinnan is a stunning spot and the cafe at the railway station would be my first choice of places to go for lunch! Ben Nevis is a trickier prospect though, especially if you're thinking about climbing it. You'll need around eight hours for that, decent hill gear and navigation skills. Alternatively the views towards the mountain are fantastic from the Canal at Corpach or Neptune's staircase in Banavie. You'll be passing through both villages on the way to The Fort. a word of warning though, the traffic as you come into Fort William has been horrific during peak season and it can often take forty minutes to get from the roundabout at Lochyside to the town. 
  • ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @MatthiasT

Are you hoping to visit Stirling, St Andrews and Glamis Castle all on the way to Pitlochry? This could be too much for one day. Perhaps you could remove Stirling from that day and instead include a drive to Stirling on the 18/07 when you will be exploring the landscape of Loch Lomond & the Trossachs. 

It's true that Skye is busy in July so make sure that you book your accommodation ahead of arrival.