Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Edinburgh International Book Festival 2018

VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited July 13 in Events and festivals

Edinburgh International Book Festival

This festival is ideal for those who love to read or who enjoy spoken word, live music and poetry too. It brings a feel of togetherness and helps to encourage more people to read more often. It is also a good way for you to meet your favourite authors!

Venues

The festival is held in Charlotte Square on the west end of George Street in Edinburgh’s city centre.  Since there is only one venue for the Book Festival, navigation is simple. There are maps dotted around the city and on the EdBookfest website.  Once you are finished at the festival, you‘ll find loads of great places to eat and drink in George Street, Rose Street and Queen Street.

Transport

Transport to the festival is simple because it is all held in the one place. You can get there on several Lothian Bus and Tram services, you can also get the train into either Waverley or Haymarket stations and you can either walk or grab the bus or tram from there!

Tickets

Entry to the festival itself is free, but to go and see authors’ shows, you will need to pay. Prices vary from show to show and even a Pay What You Can programme for selected shows. This is when a standard ticket would be £12 but if you can’t quite afford that, you can pay what you can between £2 and £15. Tickets are available online over the phone and in person at the festival itself (but only after the festival has started).

Hot Tickets

There are some notable authors attending this year’s festival including Harry Hill, Julian Clary and Horrible Histories author Terry Deary. There also is also a programme of Year of Young People events within the festival which features an event called Freedom to be Heard; a day of activities that challenges how children and young people engage with society.

Hot Tips

Our top tips for the Book festival this year is to hang by the signing tent so that you can get your favourite authors to sign your copies! We’d also recommend going to see the young up and coming authors linked with the Year of Young People.

Got tickets for this years festival, or a favourite author from the programme? Let us know below!

Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
Instagram

Comments

• JemyJemy Member ✭✭
    I went to the book festival two years ago. Really great atmosphere and worth a walk around, a few of my friends went to some readings and said they were worth checking out, I will need to go to some this year!
  • ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭
    My favourite Book Festival routine is the Unbound cabaret at the Spiegeltent in Charlotte Square Gardens. There are different literary-tinged themes every night with appearances from performers, writers and musicians. There is always such a fantastic live atmosphere which is what the festival spirit is all about for me.

https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/the-festival/whats-on/themes/unbound

be an artravelist with me at artravelist.com