Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Anyone know what 'limeroom' is?

I am now reading a 2008 novel by John Burnside, the award-winning Scottish poet/novelist. The narrator 'I' killed a boy, who had pestered and bullied 'me', by luring the boy to his death in the 'limeroom' that once was 'my' secret hiding place and sanctuary.
Is the 'limeroom' a kind of stockyard where powdered lime and/or fertilizer are in stock ? It doesn't seem to be a small house built of lime stone.
I would really appreciate your help.

Answers

• David_WheaterDavid_Wheater Member
    Hi Nonatama,

I'm not familiar with the book, but I would hazard a guess that, as mixing lime could be hazardous, there must have been a dedicated room to safely store and mix it for mortar etc. Scotland also has many old Limekilns dotted around the country. This is just a pure guess though, as there's very little online to be found about such a room.

It might be worth sending an email to the Scottish Lime Centre Trust (www.scotlime.org) who might be able to shed some light on it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. 

Best wishes,

David
    David Wheater
    Tours of Edinburgh