Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Visiting in Sept - looking for a review of my itinerary

Hi! I’m visiting for the first time this September for a friend’s wedding. I’ll have a week of solo exploring before meeting up with friends for another week of travel. I fly into Glasgow and plan to make that my home base for a few days before heading to Edinburgh. I’ll meet up with friends at the wedding in Selkirk and from there we’ll head back to Edinburgh, then road trip up to Inverness where we’ll stay for a few days. Then road trip down to Glasgow and fly out.

SEPT 15-18 – Arrive in Glasgow, explore the city, day trip to Stirling, possible day trip to Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park
SEPT 19-21 – All things Edinburgh!
SEPT 22 – Selkirk for a friend’s wedding
SEPT 23-24 – Back to Edinburgh, this time with friends
SEPT 25-27 – Road trip with friends up to Inverness, visit Culloden, Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle
SEPT 28 – Leave Inverness, head down to Glasgow – drive through Glen Coe on the way down??
SEPT 29 – In Glasgow, day trip to Falkirk to see the Kelpies
SEPT 30 – Leave in tears ;-)

Friends who have visited Scotland before have warned me against packing in too much, as it’s impossible to get to everything (which is why I’d like to come back and do a long few days in Skye and along the coast). I am, however, wondering if I could fit in a day trip or detour to Glen Coe. I’ve heard it’s breathtaking and a must-see, even if I just drive through it. Wondering how long is the drive from Glasgow to Glen Coe? The drive from Inverness to Glen Coe?

Also wondering what to expect from the scenery in the second half of September. I assume the greenery will be waning but am hoping there are some fall colors out? Any recommendations on clothing? Best to pack a variety of layers if days are warm and nights get cold? Do locals wear scarves/hats/mittens in September?

Thank you in advance for reading and providing any insight!

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @reginaeckes to drive to Glasgow via Glencoe it will take you just over 4 hours!  I would dedicate a whole day for this journey, so that you can enjoy it to the fullest!

Your itinerary looks brilliant!  I hoe you have a great time.
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesSpotify, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • Hi, it may seem a bit of a mad idea, but in one day you could visit the beautiful island of Barra on the Outer Hebrides.  You could fly from Glasgow airport in a little twin otter aircraft and land on the most amazing beach at Barra, with turquoise sea and white sand.  Have lunch in the airport cafe, which is really something else and then fly back to Glasgow!
    OuterHebridesByMotorhome