Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

When should we do the 7 day Western Scotland road trip?

Hi! We're considering the 7 day western road trip as recommended on the site (Glasgow > Loch Lomond > Oban etc). When do people think is the best time of year to do this, to maximise weather but avoid massive crowds? We're fairly flexible from May to August. Thanks!

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @dawnus75, You have a great plan ahead of you. The roads in Scotland may be quieter if you avoid the school holidays and weekends! If the weather is good then there tends to be massive crowds where ever you go! April tends to be a good month for this kind of trip.
    Have fun planning out your trip.
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • travelswithakilttravelswithakilt VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭
    May or early June would usually be the best bet - let's you avoid most of the tourism rush and holidays and get a pretty good shout for reliable-ish weather. ;-)
    Scotland travel blogger and writer with a wee bit of photography and video thrown in. Love nothing more than exploring my home country and have a particular leaning towards the outdoors, history and our national drink.

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Tumblr.
  • GlenstriderGlenstrider Member ✭✭
    Weather is often super in May and you will avoid the midges! 
  • ScotlandAdventuresScotlandAdventures Member ✭✭✭
    I also go with May for the same reasons as @Glenstrider ; :)
    Scottish Travel Blogger at Adventures Around Scotland

Follow me on Social Media at Twitter Facebook Instagram Pinterest