Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Time for castle visits

I've got three castles on my agenda for a drive between Selkirk and Inverness. Stirling, Doune, and Urquhart. It seems rather ambitious, but I don't really know. I don't want to have to run through them, but need to make the most of my time. What is a reasonable time to expect to spend at each of these castles? And overall is this too ambitious of a day? I'm willing to head out of Selkirk pretty early, if that will make it happen. Thanks for any advice.
Tagged:

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Stirling and Duone can be done in a day easy. Adding Urquhart seems like the tricky bit. I quite like the Urquhart + Jacobite boat tour in the same day as a 3-4 hour thing and because it is a ruin, you ideally want a non rainy day. And you'd be remiss if you didn't visit the Wallace Monument after seeing Stirling castle (which in itself will take a couple of hours to explore).

Another piece of research you can do is checking the castle opening times for all 3. If the first castle opens at 10 AM then there's nothing to be gained even after getting to it early.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside fest)

• ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭
    Hi @Compton49er

You could easily spend 2 hours at Stirling Castle and I would say you can spend an hour at Doune - longer if the weather is good enough to clomp around the outside with coconut shells   ;)