Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Clothing for April Trip

Hi! My husband and I are visiting Scotland in early April.  Can you please tell me how to plan on what clothing to pack?  Thank you in advance!

Comments

• AYankInScotlandAYankInScotland Member ✭✭

It depends on where you want to go, but as they say in Scotland "You can experience 4 seasons in one day". A good medium to lightweight rain coat will be your best bet (it rains like crazy in Scotland). Sometimes the rain can be “sideways” when it’s windy. You’ll see  :D 

Ultimately, you want lots of layers – some light, some medium. Then you can choose how many layers to wear based on the day’s forecast. If one person is sporting a small backpack/bag, you can pluck out an extra layer, or store an extra layer. A “brolly” (umbrella) helps a lot but it better be sturdy. Again, depending on where you go – light gloves may help.

If you are cold and wet, the best weather gear is called “Whisky” (spelled without the “e”). 
    :) 

Have fun GrayC! 

• TeannetxTeannetx Member ✭✭
    I had the same question too since I'll be in Scotland and Northern Ireland in mid-April.  I plan to layer also as recommended.  My concern is shoes.  I have "waterproof" hiking boots but am wondering if I should purchase those big rubber boots you see kids wearing these days.  Anyone have suggestions on foot wear for visiting Scotland in April.

Teanne
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    Hello @grayc

As @AYankInScotland has said, defintely layers!

April can be cold, especially at night when the sun sets. Our seasons are so mixed up, some days you just don't know what to expect. It also depends what part of Scotland you're visiting. Further north tends to be colder and can still have snow.

Bring your short-sleeved tops for possible warmer days, but also fleeces or jumpers and waterproof jacket. If you plan to do a bit of walking, comfortable walking trousers are better than jeans. Umbrellas are not so good in windy weather and when you have lots to carry. A hooded waterproof jacket works just as well! I love my mac in a sac for emergencies.

@Teannetx I think your waterproof hiking boots will be perfect as long as they are comfortable on your feet. It depends on how far you are walking and what kind of terrain you are walking on. The rubber boots 'wellies' do keep you dry but very loose and flappy on the legs and not ideal for long walks. Also big and bulky to carry.

You could also bring comfortable walking shoes or trainers for shorter walks on main paths but if you're exploring off the road your hiking boots are best :)

Have a wonderful time all!

Dawn-Marie
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
    Sorry to ask a dumb question but what is a "jumper".  I've seen people recommend them but not sure what they are.

Teanne
    Thanks for the advice-very helpful.  Will skip those rubber boots.  Going to bring my very comfy waterproof hiking boots and a pair of regular walking shoes.  I don't think I'll need anything else.  Plus the usual clothing and layers for colder weather. 

Teanne
    Hello @Teannetx :)

Lol sorry ... a jumper is a knitted wool based long sleeved top to keep you warm. Do you call them sweaters?

Dawn-Marie :)
    Yes we call them sweaters.  Unfortunately I live in Texas which is HOT 10 months out of the year and our winters usually mean we wear a light weight jacket.  There's not much need for wool sweaters here.  I do have some heavy flannel long sleeve shirts that I will bring and I will wear some silk "long-johns" underneath which should keep me warm.  I do have a nice wool hat, scarf and gloves that I knitted myself and love that I will actually get to wear them.  Thank you for the information. 

Just 13 days until we board our flight for London and then off to Scotland.  I'm very excited.
    Teanne
  • AYankInScotlandAYankInScotland Member ✭✭
    This might seem like an odd (perhaps incorrect) observation, but I rarely saw people wearing hats in Scotland when I was there in the Autumn of 2016. Certainly in the colder places I'd see people with wool/tweet caps - but I almost never saw people wearing "ball caps".

I'm guessing it's an American thing, as over here men (and women) wear ball caps all the time, and often with some sort of branding or a sports team on it .

Another reason why the Scots are so classy   B)
    @AYankInScotland I do like hats but you're right, not many of us wear them. I only recently started wearing a baseball type cap as it was given as a gift and it's an Outlander cap. It has become my good weather walking cap :) I've nearly lost it a few times though when it was windy!