Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

STICKY: Welcome to the community!

14567810»

Comments

• VisitScotlandJulieVisitScotlandJulie Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hello and welcome @Alan_Parish04

You have chosen some great locations to visit. I'm sure you will find lots of info here.
  • Archie50Archie50 Member
    Hi im Archie, we visited Glencoe last year for the first time. I was astounded with the beauty of Scotland. Looking forward to this years trip back up to Scotland
  • dcresiderdcresider Member
    Hello from Washington, DC, USA. My husband and I have a trip booked from June 29  - July 9 flying to London first, spending one night there, then taking the train to Edinburgh. Since this will be our first time in Scotland, will have 5 days and wanted to know if we had enough time to see Inverness and Glasgow. We will need to return to London on Friday since we have prior plans with friends on Saturday. Your advice will be much appreciated. Oh, any advice on public transport, i.e. trains, uber, taxi's, etx. Thanks so much.

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Horizons a public transport question for you here!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @VisitScotlandLiam Hey @dcresider (am a former FL and WA native), 5 days is a bit tight to properly see all 3 cities but ample if you are comfortable only hitting a subset of attractions. I use Google Maps all the time for public transport planning and it works fine. Visit this amazing thread that @spoots created to find the link for ScotRail trains which I recommend that you use to book travel between Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. All the cities have an excellent bus service (which is my go to) failing which I use Uber in Edinburgh and Taxis in Inverness.

I am a biased Edinburgher so my suggestion would be to do Day 1 EDI, Day 2 go to INV, stay overnight (a daytrip is possible by train but not recommended), Day 3 back to EDI, Day 4 GLA daytrip and back, Day 5 EDI and return.

Ideally, I'd recommend staying in Edinburgh 2 nights and in some place like Aviemore / Carrbridge for 3 nights to mix in a city stay and a close to nature stay. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• Wander2020Wander2020 Member
    Hello! I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada and am so amazed to here beginning to plan my lifetime dream trip to Scotland! Connecting to VisitScotland is my first action step to making this dream become reality. Planning for 2020 so I can save enough money to stay a month or more. I'm sure that is not nearly long enough to experience everything I'm sure I'll find I want to! I hope I'll find this site and community will help me narrow down to the best choices for me - and my husband:)
    Looking forward to starting the adventure!
    Hello @Wander2020

Welcome! Hope you enjoy planning your trip. There's certainly lots of wonderful things to see and do here in Scotland.

• j2scotlandj2scotland Member ✭✭
    hi @Wander2020

I just got back from Scotland and it is such a great place to visit.  I hope your dream and adventure come true for you!  :) 
    Come by and say hello.  :) 
    Blog:  journeys2scotland.com
    Instagram: journeys2scotland
  • charhall1982charhall1982 Member
    Hi Everybody, my name is Char.. I've got loads of questions and do not even know where to begin..
    I was born in England and moved to the states when I was three with my parents.. My husband and I want to move to Scotland where most of my family is in a few years, he is American.  I never obtained my US Citizenship and have always held a greencard on the hopes of returning one day... is this going to be a hard process? I'm not even sure what jobs we would be able to get.. we have young children as well that would be coming..
  • GregSalamonGregSalamon Member
    Hiya everyone 🙋🏻‍♀️ 
    My name is Greg Salamon, and it's a pleasure to be here with you 💟
    Hello and a very warm welcome to @charhall1982 and @GregSalamon

@charhall1982 have a look at https://www.scotland.org/ to help you get started

@GregSalamon ; Have a great time here B)
14567810»