Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Red alert warnings issued for Scotland

HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
The Met Office has issued it's first ever snow related alert for Scotland: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43221384

If anyone is planning to travel to Scotland in the next week via Edinburgh / Glasgow, I recommend doing so only if it is safe and feasible. Many flights from Glasgow airport have been cancelled today and there will be a knock-on effect. Railway services are severely disrupted as well. If any of you are already in Edinburgh / Glasgow as part of your travel, I would recommend minimizing venturing out without the right gear.

However, for locals / photographers / snow lovers, this is another opportunity to take some "Scotland in the snow" pictures from your backyard / surroundings. Already seen some fine photos including this one. We can use this thread to share some photos from this week.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

Comments

• JemyJemy Member ✭✭
    I am in Edinburgh and it is probably the best layer of snow I have seen. A great time for a city snow fight!

Please be safe though, the weather is getting intense from time to time. 
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, the weather conditions of the past few days are still heavily impacting entry points to Scotland. The good news is that Glasgow and Edinburgh airports are in operation(!!) but reeling with the knock on effect of prior cancellations.

However, both major rail routes coming into Scotland are still blocked till atleast end of today (ie 3rd Mar). Carlisle and Newcastle are the northernmost points that you can get to on the West and East coast lines respectively. There aren't any bus replacements either.

Normalcy *should* resume at some point next week. I use the rail routes coming into Scotland quite heavily myself so I have a vested interest. I shall post an update on this thread when true.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    In Nenthead, near Alston in Cumbria not too far from the Border, people are having to wade through snow - sometimes chest-deep - to get supplies.  So I don't know what that says about the weather to the north...  :#
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    I escaped from the beast from the east early Sat am, and as a die hard snow lover I’ve never been so glad to see the back of snow in my life.  I’ve been hiding out on the Ardtornish Estate in Morvern enjoying the snow free delights of Morvern, Ardnaurchan, Mull and beyond since then. Thankfully, the roads had been well treated by the time we made our bid for freedom so driving conditions were fine. 

Below my snowy driveway! To Calgary Bay on the Isle of Mull, Camas nan Geall (Bay of the Strangers), Ardnamurchan and the Silver Sands of Morar. 

I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

Super pictures @Samantha_Grant, one might mistake your pictures as those taken on a Scottish summer day! (instead of from a period of extreme cold across a lot of Scotland)

Looking forward to reading up on the details of your trip. Ardnamurchan has been long on my list of places to visit and looks stunning.

With this picture, I am pleased to say that travel disruptions in and around Scotland caused by the Beast from the East is now over. I have taken the West Coast mainline 100s of times but the melting snow elevated the beauty of familiar views manifold! Have a few more photos taken from my train window seat to share but this one's my fave from yesterday.

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    blimey, that was quite a beating we took from the Beast from the East! That was some planning there @Samantha_Grant to get away to white sandy beaches. 

I love snow too but that was unbelievable. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube