Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Public Toilets

Hi all

We are heading over to Scotland in March this year.  Our itinerary is pretty much set, but the big question remains in regards to availability of public toilets.  We have traveled in Europe, US and Asia quite frequently and compared to both Australia and New Zealand there seems to be a distinct lack of available public toilets. We seem to have an over abundance of them here at home, which is great as my wife's bladder is not what it used to be, so she can sometimes get quite anxious in regards to this situation, hence my questions in order to put her mind at rest.

Obviously we can always go to pubs, cafe's etc, but the question is more for when we are on the road driving between towns.

Many thanks

Richard

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of public toilets in Scotland, especially in popular tourist destinations.  If you have access to google when you’re on the move the best bet is to do a search for public toilets in the town/place you’re in.  That’s what I normally do.  If you have no access to google when you’re on the road do your research in advance and take the list with you.  Most small towns and villages have them, and they’re often located at beaches and service stations too. 

I travel all over Scotland and never struggle.  I find we have way more than many European countries.  I was in Amsterdam recently and finding a public loo was like finding a needle in a haystack.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    This website seems useful but the best bet is to stop over while driving between towns at a village to answer nature's call, there's very few service stops in rural Scotland. Carry change though as toilets in stations can charge 30p. Renting a motorhome is another possible solution.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• JemyJemy Member ✭✭
    @Joyful_1
    I absolutely loved your story and started laughing out loud. Please let me know more of your hubby's antics 
  • Joyful_1Joyful_1 Member ✭✭
    @Jemy that is really the only notable I can think of.
  • Melg22Melg22 Member
    Towns there are toilets to be found. However if like Glencoe or glenlyon there aren't many at all. Glenlyon there is a post office with tea room half way but miss that and it's more than 1 hour.  So depends how off the town's u are.  Maybe back to nature ? 
  • lealea Member
    @Melg22 - okay, your comment makes me wonder - if when you are out in these remote areas and you have to pee, is it frowned upon to pee outdoors? Let's assume that this is a pee only incident and all respect for the environment is observed (no paper products left behind, etc.). 
  • NPCNPC Member ✭✭
    Not usually a problem if your discrete, generally accepted that you have to pee somewhere.