Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Fossil/Rock Collecting with Children

Hello, I'm a geologist, and I have a couple young children. We'll be visiting Scotland in September of 2019. I'm hoping to find a place or two where my mini-rockhounds could find some interesting rocks or fossils? They're kids, so any fossil will do, but the rocks will probably have to be something shiny! I haven't had much luck making contacts or with online searches, so any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    If you have any time planned on Skye, extend it. It is your one stop shop for all things that should excite your and your kids vis-a-vis fossils and rock. Staffin Beach is the obvious first stop along with the Kilt rock viewpoint due to the cast of a dinosaur footprint (TripAdvisor). Staffin's black sand beach (pictured) is very pretty as well. Check out the Skye page on a UK fossils blog that I know of to see all other locations along with period descriptions, it suggests that "Bearreraig Bay and Elgol are some of the best spots on the island to find fossils." The fossils blog has many other locations around Scotland as well.

Outside of Skye, my favourite place to find rocks (including what I deemed to be shiny ones), were from a pebble beach near Machrie, Isle of Arran. The nearby Machrie Moor has a few standing beautiful standing stones as well and the Isle of Arran is a very beautiful but underrated part of Scotland IMO (my notes here). Hope this helps.

I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• mustseescotlandmustseescotland VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭✭
    White Sands and Barns Ness near Dunbar is a good location to try as well.
    https://ukfossils.co.uk/2007/05/03/barns-ness/

The independent online guide to Scotland, written by Gilbert and Johanna Summers - lifetime Scottish tourism experts, so you get the best vacation. must-see-scotland.com