Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Northern area

My last name is Ferguson and It seems the area of my ancestry Kilkerran, Argyll&Bute, and Bannonockburn. I am interested in finding a tour that would cover this area. I have been on a number of sites but they generally have areas that I am not really interested in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @skerinks, I'm sorry that you couldn't find a tour to your liking that covers Bannockburn (near Stirling) and Campbeltown (near Kilkerran Castle).

Have you considered a self-guided tour? Both places are accessible by public transport (if you wish not to drive) and in your situation, I personally would get history notes from the internet, map out locations of interest and either drive to these locations or reach the hub towns (Stirling / Campbeltown) by bus and hire a local tour guide / driver to show me around. You could also create a bespoke tour starting and ending at Glasgow with a guide who could drive you around these locations.

Bannockburn is reachable by local bus from Stirling and has a big visitor centre. Stirling in turn has excellent rail connections. Campbeltown is a 4 hour scenic bus ride from Glasgow (bus 926 operated by Citylink)
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Hiya :)

If you don't fancy the bus over Rest and Be Thankful, then the other way to reach Campbeltown from Glasgow is to get the train to Ardrossan Harbour and then the CalMac ferry, which takes two hours, directly to Campbeltown.