Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

High chance of a visible Aurora starting today through the weekend

HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
A moderately popular question asked on this forum is whether it is possible to see the Aurora Borealis from Scotland. The short answer is yes and according to the popular Aurora Watch UK twitter account, it seems highly likely for the next 3 nights starting tonight. This is due to an active geomagnetic storm during this period.

Aurora is a phenomena best spotted away from sources of light pollution. So if you live in a city / town, you might need to take a short drive to a darker area to spot it clearly.

Post a photo if anyone in the community is lucky enough to catch a glimpse!

Related news article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/northern-lights-uk-tonight-what-time-aurora-borealis-how-to-see-weather-a8212266.html
I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

Comments

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Thanks for posting about this @Horizons
    I'd love to see the northern lights but live in Edinburgh so not much chance of it - also don't want to stay up all night!! But would love to see pictures of course  :D
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17
    I’ve seen the mirry dancers from time to time on my travels, by chance more that aurora chasing but they are incredible.  The best show I’ve seen in Scotland was over Gairloch, the sky was a pretty vivid shade of green.  I was in Tobermory for the arrival of 2017 and I could see the lights dancing faintly over the mainland.  I’ve also seen them from Nairn before too. 

Outwith Scotland I was treated to a spectacular display from a hotel balcony in Reykjavik which was so bright it could be snapped using an iPhone camera.  I do love Iceland as it’s like holidaying in Scotland.  I’m such a Scotland lover I crave similar scenery on my foreign travels too.  :D
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    We got all excited when we saw there was (another) chance to see the aurora last week whilst we were in Islay. Sadly it wasn't to be as there was too much cloud. 

We have been lucky enough to see them whilst stood out on the driveway at home (near Perth). But the most spectacular display was a few nights after the solar eclipse a few years ago. We were in Mull and just away to our beds when a friend texted me to say "get outside and check the sky." I'm glad we did because we were lucky enough to see a rare pulsating form of aurora. Magical. 

Really does pay to venture out sometimes. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    edited February 21

Looks like they were spotted in Cullen Harbour! 
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Nice shot @VisitScotlandAmanda That looks incredible! As is generally true with Scottish weather-related forecasts, I did not see an Amber alert pop up even though all indications suggested that we might.

On the plus side, many parts of Scotland are seeing an absolutely bonnie day today :smile:
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

edited March 10
    Aurora spotted last night! One of my favourite photographers on Orkney named Graham Campbell shared this Aurora photoset from last night on Facebook. All credits go to him. Spoiler: It looks incredible

https://www.facebook.com/graham.campbell.56829/posts/2069016506650986

And again, some spectacular displays last night over most of the northern parts of the country (Moray, Harris, Orkney).

As a reminder, follow Aurora watch UK's twitter handle to know of Amber alerts. I am now off to see the hundreds of brilliant photos from last night's display on social media.