Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Where next?

My wife and I have traveled to Scotland twice.  Once from Aberdeen along the Dee to Braemar for a long weekend.   The next was a week long trip to the Moray Coast staying near Buckie.  We covered most things from Inverness to Banff and inland as far as Ballindalloch.

Her Aunt and Uncle who are in their 70s want to go to Scotland with us next year and have us play tour guides.   Well, now we have to figure out where to go.  We would prefer not to do everything we have already done but may have to see a distillery or two as the Uncle is a Scotch lover.  We visited Glenfiddich and Macallan last time.  The uncle used to play golf but I do not think he does any more. 

We have not seen a Highland Games yet, just the field of white cups in Aboyne the day after.   Looked like a few had a good time.

I should say that we eat more in the pubs than at restaurants.

Duration of trip will be no shorter than a week and possibly up to two weeks.

Where should go and what should we do as in "you haven't done this yet? are you nuts?"

Thanks, Alan

Comments

• fishyprofishypro Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @wetwolf , What about trying the wonderful town of Pitlochry before heading up towads the Cairngorm National Park to Aviemore. The town of Pitlochry has wonderful distilleries including Edradour & Blair Athol. Great pubs to eat in like The Old Mill Inn or Moulin Inn and also has fantastic views over Loch Faskally or even the famous Queens View overlooking Loch Tummel. There is even a nice gentle stroll around Loch Dunmore which is really a big duck pond than a Loch. Blair Atholl is only 10 minutes away where you will find Blair Castle or Blair Atholl Watermill.
    Where ever you decide to go, don't miss Pitlochry!
    Best regards
    fishypro
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @wetwolf, got to say I agree with @fishypro and start off with Pitlochry! 

Why not go full circle and start with Pitlochry, visit all that it has to offer and then head west to Glencoe for the amazing scenery, it really is a must see if you've never been there before.

Then go up north to the Cairngorms National Park where you can visit distilleries such as The Glenlivet,  Balmenach and Dalwhinnie!  Not to forget the picturesque scenic drive.  From experience i can say it is an amazing drive and everybody should do it in their lifetime.

Finally, if your wife's uncle is a fan of golf, whether he still plays or not, you simply cannot miss the home of golf itself, St. Andrews!  It really is a must-see for any golf fan and if your wife's uncle hasn't been there before I'm sure he would really appreciate it being on the itinerary!

Does this sound alright to you?

Let me know what you think!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • wetwolfwetwolf Member ✭✭
    sounds good.  We meet up with them next month to discuss.  

I would love to see St Andrews.  I would love to play it too but I have too much Scottish in me to pay the price they want.  
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    edited February 16
    wetwolf said:
    I would love to see St Andrews.  I would love to play it too but I have too much Scottish in me to pay the price they want.  
    “The man who dies rich dies disgraced”
    -Andrew Carnegie, Scottish industrialist and philanthropist

Not all the stereotypes are true  ;)

Anyway, I hope your trip goes well.  Are you planning to do it by car or by public transport?
    My son and I played twice on the Moray coast last time.   Strathlene and Cullen.  Key lesson for whoever wants to take their clubs, use a soft club case.  We borrowed a hard case and it was a royal pain.  It was heavy which limited the number of clubs and did not really fit in the car.  We took clubs because my son is left handed....We should have rented clubs but it was nice to miss hit the ball with my own clubs.

Spoots - we will rent a car.  I drove last time two times.  It takes about a day for me to get off the left edge of the road and then I am fine.  That 2nd to 3rd shift seems to get me.  I go from 2nd to 5th a bit.
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    wetwolf said:
    Spoots - we will rent a car.  I drove last time two times.  It takes about a day for me to get off the left edge of the road and then I am fine.  That 2nd to 3rd shift seems to get me.  I go from 2nd to 5th a bit.
    OK:

Driving from Pitlochry to Glencoe, the best route is probably via Aberfeldy, Loch Tay, Killin, Crianlarich and Bridge of Orchy.

Then, to continue on to the Cairngorms, travel north through Ballachulish, Corran, Fort William, Spean Bridge and Roybridge.  When you get to the junction, it's left for Newtonmore and right for Dalwhinnie - after Dalwhinnie you can always head to Newtonmore on the A9.

The grand drive down from Grantown to Blairgowrie via Tomintoul, Cock Bridge and Braemar is what I think @VisitScotlandLiam is referring to.  Then, from Blairgowrie you go through Coupar Angus, Dundee, Newport-on-Tay and Leuchars to St Andrews.

Hope that helps :)
    Thanks!  This helps.   

As far as airports. is Perth the closest international airport?  Or would that be Edinburgh?
    I see Edinburgh is the closest but we would have to connect through Manchester, Dublin, or Heathrow.  
  • FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    The Ceres Highland Games in Fife is the oldest free running games in Scotland. The date for this year 30th June. A really friendly, community spirited event.

One a larger scale to the Ceres games, Bridge of Allan Highland Games  near Stirling are held the week before the World Pipe Band Championships. 

The Crieff Highland Gathering is a cracking wee games too. 

All of these games are not far from Pitlochry (assuming this is where you choose to base yourselves). 

Here is the link for the full programme of events across Scotland. 
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

Website
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    YouTube