Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Who's Your Favourite Scottish Musician and My Tips to Go Far in 2018!

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
edited February 12 in Arts and Culture
If you couldn't tell from my profile picture, I am a massive music fan and love all sorts of music, especially Scottish.  Music is an integral part to any society, in Scotland it's no different.  Scotland has produced an array of great artists, from all eras.  My question to you is, who's your favourite?

I'll kick it off with my top 3, they may be a bit biased to indie/rock but here we go...

3)  Biffy Clyro

I have been a fan of Biffy since before I can remember, I've always loved how they can get the perfect mix between rock and soulful lyrics.  They're also a great live band, I've seen them three times, one in Glasgow, one at T In The Park and once at Edinburgh's Hogmanay.  They've went on to be one of the best British rock bands of my generation headlining many festivals all over the world.  If you haven't heard them before and you like rock music, do yourselves a favour!  

2)  The View

A Dundee based indie/rock band who broke onto my radar many years ago when they released a single called 'Same Jeans'  from their debut album 'Hats Off To The Buskers'.  Since then, they have really developed as a band but still kept that Dundee swagger that is rife in their music.  They are another great live band and I've seen them a fair few times, unfortunately though, they are taking a break from touring at the moment and I'm sure there will be many folk who are hoping they return soon!

1)  The Proclaimers

It's obvious isn't it!!  The Edinburgh based twins Craig and Charlie Reid are, for me, the pinnacle of Scottish music.  I think you could go all the way up and down the country, play a Proclaimers song and everyone would join in.  They really have a massive bank of great songs that mostly everyone knows the words to!  They take an undeniable inspiration from Scotland for writing their songs, from their use of Scottish words and Edinburgh accent, to naming their songs after places like 'Sunshine on Leith'.

I could go on forever about music coming from Scotland I haven't even mentioned the likes of Simple Minds, Deacon Blue, The Fratellis, Amy Macdonald the list goes on!

My Hot Tips To Succeed In 2018

Being in a band myself (The Bright Skies, Edinburgh based indie band), I see a lot of bands who have massive potential and here are my 3 tips for 2018:

3) Retro Video Club (4 piece, Edinburgh, rock)

These boys are tearing it up on the Edinburgh scene and are slowly breaking into Glasgow.  Their most recent releases, the singles of 'Psycho' and 'Famous' will be made a trio when they release 'Chemistry' on the 16th of February; and if it is anything like the other two we are in for a cracking tune.  They have toe-tappingly catchy riffs with epic 'belt your heart out' choruses, keep your eyes peeled!

2)  Vistas (4 piece, Edinburgh, indie)

Vistas are a fast up-and-coming indie band with a really bright, fresh sound.  They have recently been on a Scotland and UK tour with English band Touts, and are due to go on another Scottish tour with Marsicans.  They played TRNSMT Festival last year and have been played various times by different DJs on Radio 1.  Definitely one to look out for, give them a bash!

1)  Gerry Cinnamon (solo, Glasgow, folk/indie)

Gerry Cinnamon has increased and increased in popularity over the past year, mainly helped by the release of his debut album 'Erratic Cinematic'.  Gerry is a solo singer/songwriter guitar player who plays and sings about his childhood in Glasgow and how it was for him growing up.  His songs spark a sense of nostalgia and allow you to reminisce on your younger days.  He is my top tip to go far in 2018. 

Who are your favourite Scottish musicians, and do you have any tips for 2018?

Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.