Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today.

Uists and Benbecula islands...

JefMJefM VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
edited April 2016 in Scotland's Islands
Planning a trip to Uists, looking for more information about those islands. You are in the right place. Anything you want to know about Uists just ask me. I will be happy to answer any of your questions.
(The Machair of Kilpheder in full bloom during the summer)

Comments

• ellisoconnorellisoconnor VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Hello @JefM :)

I've been to the Uist and Benbecula before but didn't spend much time there. 

I'll be based on Barra this June for a few weeks and definitely eager to get back over to the Uists for a wee bit while I'm there. 

Do you have any recommendations of good walking routes for me? I love hiking, finding remote beaches and geology! 

Thanks so much!

Ellis 

• JefMJefM VisitScotland Contributor ✭✭
    Here are my favourites walks in Uists @ellisoconnor…
    1- Because I am very much connected to the Sea I love walking all along the shore of South Uist, with more than 20 miles of beach there are a lot to explore. June is usually a good period, many birds nesting in the Machair. I usually go early the morning or late at night to catch the sunrise/sunset and try to meet my favourite animal the otter. Smerclate to Daliburgh and Frobost to Bornish are my favourites. Along the shore many sites worth a stop. Daliburgh is well known for its Iron age round houses where the first mummies in Uk have been found, Bornish was one of the biggest settlement of the Vikings in the Western Isles. Howmore is rich of histories too with its old religious settlements, many old thatched cottages here and great view of the Hills.
    2- Loch Eynort/Loch Skipport on the East side of South Uist, beautiful landscape full of wildlife. Many big birds of prey and stags around. From Loch Skipport there is a path that will lead you towards Uishinish Lighthouse and if you are well prepared and feeling adventurous you can climb the Three Peaks of South Uist (Hecla, Corodale and Been Mhòr).
    3- Up north the circular walk of the isle of Berneray worth a trip, the West beach is really beautiful and great view of the Hills of Harris
    4- For North Uist Scolpaig (on a good day you can see St Kilda from there) and Clachan Sands.
    5-For the isle of Benbecula i will walk along the road to Peter's Port.
    6- And then Eriskay the East side is really worth to explore. More quiet than the West side and usually where you can meet the beautiful Eriskay poneys. On a clear day the view of our surrounded islands is fantastic. You can perfectly see Skye, Rum, Coll, Tiree.

• AngieAngie Member
    If you're off to Barra, make sure to have a trip to the fish supplier 'Barratlantic' at Northbay- amazing fresh fish at really low prices.  Scallops the size of your hand - it's amazing!