Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Britrail Passes

I have been looking into using a train/bus/ferry pass. When they say 8 days of travel out of 15, is that for all travel? Or can I arrive by train to a central location like Perth then use the local busses to see sights without those day trips counting against your 8/15 travel pass.

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Horizons I believe this is your area of expertise ;) ?
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    @VisitScotlandLiam indeed :smile:

@Joyful_1, in theory the ticket checker will put in the date of travel on the train to Perth making the pass in use for that day. If you reach Perth in the evening and use buses the next day for daytrips, your purely bus travel day will not be counted towards your 8 days.

In practice, atleast 2 or 3 of my days remained unchecked across my 30 day trip (with 2 consecutive passes) and I did have quite a few days when I was not using my pass doing bus daytrips. Hence, I came to the conclusion that it's ok to use the pass on a day even if you're doing a single train journey. You can always choose to pay for your single train ticket and selectively not use the pass for that day (hope that makes sense).

Feel free to ask clarifying questions.
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkye, HarrisMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)