Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

First Trip North!

My husband and I want to visit Scotland in August.  My husband wants to sample peaty Scotch; as an artist I want to check out the local art. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks!

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @aelstone, if it's art you're after, Edinburgh and Glasgow both have brilliant galleries!  @Horizons, can you advise on great places for whisky?
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.
  • ArtravelistArtravelist Member ✭✭
    Hi @aelstone

If you can get a hold of the ArtMag, it is a great way of finding out about exhibitions around Scotland - especially if you are touring around. It has details of the latest exhibitions as well as local contemporary artists. You can find this mag in lots of venues - museums, cafes, galleries, bars. 

Find out about what's on this year at the National Galleries of Scotland in Edinburgh at https://www.nationalgalleries.org/exhibitions/upcoming

If you are still around mid-September, you can catch the long-anticipated opening of the V&A in Dundee. 

The Art Festival runs for most of August in Edinburgh (as do many of the other Edinburgh festivals).

Be an artravelist with me at artravelist.com
  • HorizonsHorizons Member, VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @aelstone, sampling peaty Scotch is synonymous with visiting Islay which I cannot recommend enough. Briuchladdich makes Octomore, the world's most peated whisky with 4x the peat of Laphroaig but it tastes simply divine and nothing like I could ever imagine (the bottle's quite expensive but they are happy to give out tasting pours of the different versions). Ardbeg is my favourite on the island and Lagavulin is generally famous thanks to Ron Swanson. Before I visited Islay, I had no idea that these are also village names which gave me memorable pictures like this one. Have a detailed post of my Islay visit here, Islay Info is an excellent resource to plan a trip and here's the link to VisitScotland's Islay root page

If Islay is a bit too far to travel to due to time constraints, I highly recommend either taking a daytrip from Edinburgh / Glasgow to Pitlochry to visit the Edradour distillery as its tasting room is stocked with superb expressions. In Edinburgh, the Kaleidoscope cafe in the Scottish Malt Whisky Society premises on Queen St., Whiski Rooms on the Mound (official Ardbeg Embassy), Bow Bar in Grassmarket and Cadenheads on Canongate are must visits for Whisky connoisseurs.

Fringe is the perfect time for an art lover like yourself to visit. Glasgow's Kelvingrove museum is a must-visit and Scotland's major museums are free so I recommend checking them out if the weather turns even a bit (both the Scottish National Gallery and Scottish National Portrait Gallery are superb).
    I'm Anirudh, an Indian travel blogger who has explored a lot of Scotland by public transport. My blog. Find me on Facebook | Instagram

Best of Scotland in 1 week itinerary (fully by public transport)

My Scotland travels (includes EdinburghSkyeMullArranOrkneyLoch Lomond, Islay, Oban, Speyside)

• BushmanBushman Member ✭✭
    Hi Aylestone.  
    For a great visit I would recommend the Isle of skye. There are many artists on skye with little galleries dotted around the island as for peaty whisky Talisker is right up there and one of my favourites.