Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Staying Connected

So many choices. Do I use my home cell service (Verizon) and get an International plan? Do I get a SIM card (Vodaphone?) that I can use in all the countries we will be in? (Iceland, Scotland, S England, Italy, France, Switzerland?) Or...rent one of the portable wifi boxes (Teppy) or another?  Trying to figure out a good way to have some internet and phone service. Check emails and make an occasional call. Have internet search options. Internet mostly for maps (though I am a serious paper map person..but like the added GPS on the phone to give you real time location.) It seems like the SIM cards are by far the best deal. Just wondering how dependable they are in the countries we'll be in? Any opinions on staying somewhat connected??  

Comments

• powderglutpowderglut Member ✭✭
    We'll be in Scotland Aug 23-Sep 3 driving a campervan mostly north of Edinburgh. So I'm assuming service could be sketchy in some of the more remote mountainy areas.
  • MoFMoF Member ✭✭
    https://opensignal.com/networks

This may give you an idea for coverage, I went with getting a three sim card due to where I visit. you buy the prepaid version slip it in, put a add on on it and your good to go.  I put a 20 spot on mine for my trip, and it worked in Ireland.
    So If I go with a SIM card it appears that Vodaphone has coverage in all the countries I will visit. Anyone used a portable wifi box and how good was it?
  • ScathachScathach Member ✭✭
    If you have a European SIM card you will be able to use everywhere you are visiting in the EU.
    The EU last year removed the roaming coasts so if you but a data plan with your SIM card here in the UK it will be possible to use it in the other European countries
    Since I will be in Iceland first, the Sim options are Simmin, Vodaphone and Nova. Vodaphone has coverage in all the other countries we plan on visiting. Will likely use this company for duration of whole trip for simplicity sake.  We're not really super tech savvy.. so playing the connected game is a whole new ballgame. Need young kids to teach me the ropes!  
  • RossRoss Member
    As long as you get a Three card, does it matter which provider you use? Going to Edinburgh, Pitlochry,Dublin, and Sligo
    Hi Ross ..I virtually had no idea what a Three card was, until I just googled it. So..... Another "player" that gives coverage all over Europe?? Has anyone used it in Iceland and other countries outside the UK? There are so many options these days it makes your head spin. I'm all about cheap service but I do want as good of connections as possible.  I have a Google Pixel XL phone with an easy to pop out SIM card. It is an Android system. So it appears I can use just about any company as long as I feel they are reliable.
    Not sure yet what to use.
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hi @powderglut I've used Three in Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc and had no problem. Hope this helps!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
    Instagram
    Thanks for the recommendation on Three. But...I think I'm going with Vodaphone because of the better coverage in Iceland. I read a few reviews that said the Three coverage in Iceland was just ok. Since I'll be there for 16 days and all around the island I'd like a stronger network.  Icelandair offers a Vodaphone SIM card with 2 gigs of Data, unlimited local talk and text and 50 mins of overseas calls for about $25 US. I'm told I can just add on for more time without changing the card in all the other countries. I will have over 2 weeks in the UK and another 2 weeks in France and Italy. Way cheaper than my provider Verizon's International plan at $10 US a day.
    Still got lot's of time to change my mind since I don't leave until Aug 7.