Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community. The personal details and information provided by you will be used by VisitScotland to create your iKnow community account. Any content you provide, such as a profile photo, username, comments and discussions will be publicly available.

By ticking the box and clicking submit you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms of our privacy policy.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

North of Inverness for mini break with kayaking and wildlife - Suggestions and Recommendations?

Hi there,

We’d like a short break (4-5 nights) at the end of June in the North of Scotland and I need some recommendations please.
We would fly to Inverness and hire a car, and I’m looking for somewhere North of there as a base. We’d like to do some kayaking, and see some wildlife (walking). Ideally we would like to stay in one place and explore from there before heading back to Inverness for a flight home.

We are 2 adults and no children to consider.

Recommendations on places to stay/ kayaking or other adventures.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Hi @Borister check out Glen Affric which is North of Loch Ness.  It sounds like it may fit the bill perfectly.  It’s one of Scotland unspoiled wildernesses with spectacular scenery, wildlife and water.

Torridon too, it’s an area perfect for outdoor activities and wildlife spotting. There’s an excellent hostel there run by the Scottish Youth Hostel Association (SYHA) which makes a perfect base. 

While not north of Inverness, the unspoiled regions of Morvern and Ardnamurchan in the West Highlands are exactly what you describe too.  I can thoroughly recommend the Ardtornish Estate in Morvern (accommodation ranging from budget bunkhouse to grand stately home) and in Ardnamurchan you can’t go far wrong with the Strontian Hotel.

Hope this helps.
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• BoristerBorister Member
    Thanks so much. Very helpful, and I will do some research now.
  • VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    @Samantha_Grant @Borister One of our community ambassadors @eilidh__cameron has recently been to Glen Affric and loved it!  Make sure you check out her pics!
    Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.