Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

Migrating whales in Scotland, where and when can wee see them?

hi there :) I am planning to visit Scotland next year and would love to see migrating whales. Does anyone know when and where i can spot them? thanks for any help :)

Comments

• VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    Hey @Aga!  There are brilliant whale watching cruises that you can find out more about here!
  • spootsspoots Member ✭✭
    Not very useful I'm afraid, but on the ferry from Sanday to Kirkwall in Orkney last month we saw three orcas.  Three.  Maybe they were trying to race the MV Earl Sigurd into harbour...
  • LochgmarcpLochgmarcp VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    I would also love to see some whales this year, I’ve read that Orkney and Shetland are often frequented by orcas and the seas off the western coast of Mull and Harris are good spots for whale watching! Good luck with the search 
    Instagram.com/Lochgmarcp @lochgmarcp
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28
    @aga whales can pretty much be spotted in every location I’ve just visited.  If I had a £1 for every time I’ve heard, oh you should have been here yesterday to see the whales I’d be very rich by now!  

I hope you have better luck then me, but I’d suggest your best bet would be around the Outer Hebrides or Orkney.  Weirdly there are some Humpback Whales in the Firth of Forth just now off the coast of Edinburgh.  It’s where I live so maybe I should dig out my binoculars. :D
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors.