Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please take a moment to read the Community guidelines and learn how to use the Community.

Love Scotland and want to share your stories – why not have a look at all the recent discussions and make a contribution or start a new discussion? Visiting Scotland and looking for some advice – why not ask a question or start a discussion or simply explore all the great content?

Join the conversation today and share your #scotspirit.

What's Your Scotword?

VisitScotlandLiamVisitScotlandLiam Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
What makes you proud to live in Scotland in one word?  That was the question asked to Scotland's young people in December last year and of the thousands and thousands of nominations, the list was whittled down to seven words.

The most popular favourite Scottish words were:

From that seven, the public were asked to vote on their favourite.  So, according to you - the people of Scotland - the nation's favourite word to describe how proud they are to live in Scotland is...

If you were watching or were even involved in the torchlight procession in Edinburgh on Hogmanay, you'll have seen the Scotword being spelt out in Holyrood Park to kick-start the Year of Young People 2018 here in Scotland!

My question to you all is if you agree!  What other words describe how proud you are to live here in Scotland!
Lead vocalist & rhythm guitarist for The Bright SkiesTwitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube.

• FullStopNextChapterFullStopNextChapter VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Blimey, what a question! I moved to Scotland just over two years ago and I am incredibly proud to live here. It's definitely my hame now. To that list I would add Friendly too. I love the word Braw and it's well suited to the people and the country too.
    Join in my new chapter over on the blog. Discovering all things that make Scotland the place everyone wants to visit. 

• VisitScotlandMurielVisitScotlandMuriel Member, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I like #wee myself!! Don't think it made it to the list though... 
  • DMWScotlandDMWScotland VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭
    Diverse, Alive and Welcome are Scottish words? ...

I'm with @VisitScotlandMuriel! I use 'wee' a lot, even in my writing. Another one I like is 'naw'. I don't say it often though, depends who I'm speaking to :)
    I blog about places I've explored in Scotland on Love Exploring Scotland  <3
    Follow me on FacebookTwitterInstagramVimeo or YouTube :)
  • VisitScotlandAmandaVisitScotlandAmanda Member, Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    As someone who moved here from New Zealand, I can definitely testify that the words 'friendly' and 'welcoming' are incredibly fitting.

Have to say I love that Braw is the winning word though!
    Kiwi gal, relocated to Scotland. 
  • VisitScotlandHeatherVisitScotlandHeather Administrator, Moderator, VisitScotland Staff
    I like the word Bonnie but I think Scotland is more than just a bonnie place  :)
  • VisitScotlandPatriciaVisitScotlandPatricia Member, Moderator
    I think all the seven words describe Scotland perfectly.
  • Samantha_GrantSamantha_Grant VisitScotland Ambassador ✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow far too many to choose.  I grew up a fluent Scots speaker, then later went on to study Scottish history and literature at university.  I love Scots and the regional variations of the language.  One of my favourite words is puggled, but slaister and wee bauchle are also guid yins tae.  ;)  
    I'm a Scottish travel blogger and freelance writer with an extensive knowledge of travelling in Scotland.  I'm always on the road exploring my wonderful country.  I love remote places, history and the great outdoors. 

• Scotland is indeed Braw, but I think there is one more word for the list.

My Spanish friend was working as a tour Guide in Edinburgh last year, and after one very rainy day taking Spanish tourists around the town, she sent me a text saying "I learned a new word today - Drookit!"

DROOKIT - when you are so wet from the rain, that if you jumped fully clothed into a river, you could not get any wetter.